VMware Cloud Community
FPAUS
Contributor
Contributor

Mount VMFS Disk in Windows 2003

Currently using an EqualLogic PS4000X iSCSI array to provide storage for a couple of ESX4 hosts. The arrary is replicating a number of volumes to a DR array and I was looking for a way to browse a cloned version of the replica volume on a Windows 2003 server as a last resort.

Basically, I would like to be able to present the cloned replica volume to a server using the MS iSCSI initiator and use some sort of tool to be able to browse the VMFS disk and then browse the VMDKs. I have attached a test volume to the server but haven't been able to find a tool that will let me mount the disk. It is currently listed in Disk Management as an "Unknown Partition" as would be expected.

If this is not possible, I am looking for any recommendations on how to best setup a file server's data disk in ESX. I currently have the OS as a VMDK and cannot decide between presenting the SAN volume directly to ESX or using the MS iSCSI initiator within the guest os. I like the idea of being able to present the replica volume to just a physical Windows system in case of emergency. The file server will have a single 1TB disk for data. Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Have you tried VMWare Mount, of FastSCP ?

If this is mounted on an ESX host, FastScp will let you get to it - You'll need to browse to /volumes/vmfs/guid

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
K-MaC
Expert
Expert

Hello please take a look at Open Source VMFS Driver(http://code.google.com/p/vmfs/) I believe this should be able to do what you want.

Cheers

Kevin

Cheers Kevin
0 Kudos