VMware Cloud Community
benjaminvalient
Contributor
Contributor

Manually restore vDR backups from Windows Share

Hi guys,

Actually i'm using a Windows share to store my vDR backups, but i was waiting to see vmdk files of the backed up VMs and contrary of that, i get a lot of directories and files .bak and another extensions. Now i need to restore this files on another ESX, is that possible? and if is possible... how can i do it?

I'm using ESX 4.0 and vDR 1.01.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
emma234
Contributor
Contributor

Hi  benjaminvali ,

What I understand you have taken backup of VM through vDR .

And now want to restore it .

If so I will suggest to follow simple way that copy or export existing vm and restore it .

"Life is never easy for those who dream"
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

vDR does not just copy files to the backup store but does this using deduplication to reduce the required disk space. To restore VM's from this dedup store you need a running instance of vDR, this cannt be done manually.

André

0 Kudos
benjaminvalient
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. That means if i want to restore a VM from the Windows network share, i will be able to restore only if i copy the backups locally in the VM of Data Recovery because is needed a running instance. It's that correct?

There is no way to do that from the share?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just to make sure I understand you correctly. You do have a dedup store, created by vDR, but the vDR appliance no more exists!?

In this case you may deploy a new vDR appliance and follow the steps "To upgrade Data Recovery appliances with CIFS shares or RDMs" at e.g. http://www.vmware.com/support/vdr/doc/vdr_10_releasenotes.html to reconnect to the dedup store.

André

0 Kudos
benjaminvalient
Contributor
Contributor

Yes and no, i got a dedup store on a Windows Server 2003 directory share (SMB Protocol) and i want to restore a VM backed up by vDR on a DR site and do all this manually.

Did i explain better this time?

0 Kudos