VMware Cloud Community
NowSol
Contributor
Contributor

Manual restore using actual virtual machine files?

Hello all.  I have an old but complete backup of a virtual machine that has since been deleted from the ESXi server.  I have a need to temporarily restore it.  Is there a process for recreating a virtual machine in the Inventory and pointing it to a fully functioning copy in the datastore?  Most of my reading deals with using the Disaster Recovery Wizard or the command line to do restores from backup files.  These don't really fit what I am trying to do.  Any advice is appreciated.  btw I tried this and got the cannot start virtual machine because the file xxxx couldn't be locked.  So trying the second link below, but still would like any thoughts on other ways to achieve this.

VMware KB: Recovery of a lost or deleted virtual machine .vmx configuration file on an ESXi/ESX host

VMware KB: Powering on a virtual machine fails with the error: Cannot open the disk

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

How you had taken backup of VM?

if you have simply copied or exported VM on Local Disk you can upload VM in Datastore and add it to inventory.

if you had used some backup tools and backup files are not in vof or .vmx, .vmdk format then only you need to restore it using backup tool.

for the file locking issue, make sure vmdk or .vmx file is not locked by any Host or its not being used by any other VM.

if you have just uploaded VM folder, then Browse the datastore, locate the that VM folder and try to delete .lck files from VM folder.

Below KB, can you help you to find the Host which has locked VM files.

VMware KB: Investigating virtual machine file locks on ESXi/ESX

VMware KB: Finding the lock owners of a VMDK or file on a VMFS datastore in VMware ESXi 5.5 P05

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos