VMware Cloud Community
A_K1
Contributor
Contributor

Looking for VDR succesor, as VDP does not work for us

What are non-expensive alternatives to VDR for 5.1 backup solutions?

We are using simple and non-expensive yet working backups since ESX3. Starting from VCB scripts we moved to VDR. Now as VDR is being decommissioned in 5.1 (by the way will it work there?) we are looking to find something non-expensive yet working.

We have 3 hosts with Essentials+ running. Four Production VMs are being backed up every night; other VMs are being backed up weekly. VDR makes 2 TB from total of 15 TB VMs non-deduplicated data. Weekly we take OVAs of VDR VMs offsite. There is no offsite backup for VDP so it fails our requirements.

So far competitors are:

Veeam Backup Essentials: expensive, yet good

Acronis vmProtect: I love acronis products over the years but this product is priced as Veeam while Acronis support is awful

vRanger: non-expensive, ???

Symantec BackupExec: ???

thinware: ???
PHD Virtual: ???
Trilead: ???

Avamar Virtual Edition: ???

Any comments and experience?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
fgl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my testing I've found that the old VDR will still work under vCenter 5.1 and ESXi 5.1 host.  But that configuration is not supported by VMware so if you run into problems you are on your own.

VDP will also work with ESXi 5.0 but does require vCenter 5.1 for administration so for those that like to upgrade to vCenter 5.1 but stay at ESXi 5.0 host because of the inability to P2V with VMware converter 5.0 into a ESXi 5.1 host.

In my test environment right now I have both VDR and VDP running concurrently both not backing up concurrently on the same ESXi 5.0 host with vCenter 5.1.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Add Avamar to that list.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

A K wrote:

Veeam Backup Essentials: expensive, yet good

Acronis vmProtect: I love acronis products over the years but this product is priced as Veeam while Acronis support is awful

vRanger: non-expensive, ???

Symantec BackupExec: ???

thinware: ???
PHD Virtual: ???
Trilead: ???

Any comments and experience?

Honestly Veeam is one of the cheapest options and it's most commonly recommended around here for that very reason.

My preference is Backup Exec but if you find Veeam expensive you'll hate Symantec...

0 Kudos
A_K1
Contributor
Contributor

Josh26 wrote:

Honestly Veeam is one of the cheapest options and it's most commonly recommended around here for that very reason.

My preference is Backup Exec but if you find Veeam expensive you'll hate Symantec...

Well, Essentials+ cost was $6K at the time of purchase (without support). Veam Essentials SRP is $4356. There is no sense buying a backup solution that costs nearly the same as the product itself.

I witness other department's story as they have a big Vmware project with blade servers and juiciest Vmware edition installed. And what they have is a lot of small but annoying problems with both hardware, vmware, storage, slow backup speeds, tape problems (they use backup exec by the way) etc. And because of that problems they cannot even move from 4.1 where they stuck into. So Essentials+ rules Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Doug_Hazelman
Contributor
Contributor

@AK, not sure where you got the price from but I work for Veeam and I'd be more than happy to help answer any pricing questions. Feel free to PM me and I'll get you in contact with the right people.

Thansk,

-doug

Doug Hazelman

VP, Product Strategy

Veeam Software

- Doug Hazelman Veeam Software
0 Kudos