VMware Cloud Community
WhatIsESXi
Contributor
Contributor

License req. to backup restore OS on ESXi?

Hi,

Sorry for starting with the probably most stupid Q.  I have just entered the world of ESXi and I have installed the first ESXi and a couple of OS's, and it's all working fine.

But for saftey reason, I would like to backup and restore the different OS's, and maybe even the whole disk!

Q1.  is that possible?

Q2. Is that possible with the free license or do I need full license to performe at least the first task (backup/restore an OS), or both (backup/restore the whole disk)?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Yes possible but in free license.If you are looking for production vms backup you need to buy backup software license with appropriate vendor.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Q1: Yes.

Q2: No. All 3rd. Party Backup vendors use the vSphere API for Data Protection in combination with other remote / automatizations  functions and these APIs are locked when using the Free ESXi Hypervisor. In the past only a few vendors exists (Trilead) which worked around.  Years ago there was also GhettoVCB2 (community script)  around but to be honest..... at the end you need a reliable  Backup solution and all of them require a licensed ESXi with all open APIs.  Yes... free/cheap  Backup products exists like Veeam B&R Community version for up to 10 VMs.  Nakivo have something similar.

Ways to get a licenced ESXi

1. VMUG Adv. (200?)

2. vSphere Essentials (470,- plus  62,-)

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos