VMware Cloud Community
jarsenea
Contributor
Contributor

Larger than 1TB Datastores

Hey everyone,

I've had 1.2 running without any major issues for a good 3 months now.. I'm curious however to know if anyone has tried using a datastore larger than 1TB. I know the recommended size for local storage is 1TB (500GB for VMDK), but I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences using bigger datastores (2TB, 3TB or more..)..

It's really nice to see VDR growing up, but unless I can backup my entire infrastructure (20+TB), I may have to go with an 3rd party provider... I don't want to be managing multiple VDR instances.

Best,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I'm curious however to know if anyone has tried using a datastore larger than 1TB.

go back and read the setup guide. The 1TB is NOT a recommendation it's a LIMITATION of the VDR. It's not supported, so yes you MUST keep it to 1TB or less.. or have fun fixing issues. It's also limited to ONLY 2 datastores, and each one must be 1TB or less.

It's really nice to see VDR growing up, but unless I can backup my entire infrastructure.

You can have more than 1 VDR in your environment, but you can't have more than 100 VM's PER VDR.

I don't want to be managing multiple VDR instances

Well it looks like you won't be using VDR then . . . . . .

0 Kudos