VMware Cloud Community
FuninSun
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing VDP 6 Exchange 2013 plugin - Current user is not a Domain Administrator

I've installed Exchange 2013 SP1 (current patch level).  I'm tying to install the Exchange Plug-in per vmware-data-protection-administration-guide-60.pdf, age 169.  VMware VDP Exchange Backup User Configuration Tool start and tells me "Current user is not a Domain Administrator" (see screen shot).  I'm logged into the machine using a Domain Administrator credentials, not the local machine.  The Exchange sever, Storage group, Mailbox store dropdowns are empty, apparently from an authority problem.

The KB Creating a VMware vSphere Data Protection (VDP) backup user account for exchange plugin with VDP Advanced (2073168) talks about creating a VDPBackupUser account manually.  Before I trot down this road, I thought I'd see if there is something obvious or basic that I have missed.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FuninSun
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem Solved.  VMware VDP Backup User Configuration Tool must be "Run as administrator...".  I must have missed that in the doc Smiley Wink

Also, note in the log (dialog box in the configuration tool) that the created account VMwareVDPBackUser (mailbox) must be logged into (at least once) to complete the configuration.  I use OWA to login.

The VMware install document talks about the user VDPBackupUser.  The user created by this process is VMwareVDPBackupUser. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

have you installed CDO 1.2.1 (Collaboration Data Objects) before you launch VDP Tool...

"If you use the VDP Exchange configuration tool, the MAPI client libraries and CDO 1.2.1 must be installed on the server you intend to run that tool on.

When you install the MAPI client libraries and CDO 1.2.1, it is recommended that you perform that step before you create the VDP Exchange account."

anyway in my opinion the "current user" error applies to VDPBackupUser account not  to the user currently logged, unless not required (only for Exchange 2007) try to add

VDPBackupUser account to the domain admin group at least temporarily.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
FuninSun
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello vNEX,

Thanks for looking.  Yes, CDO 1.2.1 Messaging API  and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1 Version 6.5.8353.0 is installed.  The machine was rebooted prior to the situation.  BTW, it's a Windows 2012 R2.

Still looking for a resolution.

0 Kudos
FuninSun
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem Solved.  VMware VDP Backup User Configuration Tool must be "Run as administrator...".  I must have missed that in the doc Smiley Wink

Also, note in the log (dialog box in the configuration tool) that the created account VMwareVDPBackUser (mailbox) must be logged into (at least once) to complete the configuration.  I use OWA to login.

The VMware install document talks about the user VDPBackupUser.  The user created by this process is VMwareVDPBackupUser. 

0 Kudos