VMware Cloud Community
KBuchanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Incompatible device backing specified for device '1'.

I am trying to test the restore a backup of a machine. I am chaning the name of the server. (ie, the backup name is MRINT, but I am changing it to MRINT-TEST.

The restore fails and I get this error: Incompatible device backing specified for device '1'.

BTW - I am running Data Recovery v1.0.1.362 Build 176771.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KBuchanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a response from VMWare regarding the error: "Incompatible device backing specified for device '1'"

Except from an VMWare Support Tech's e-mail:

Does our test VM have a CDRom device attached to it? I found a bug where this failure can happen when trying to restore the CDRom device connection, rather than the Virtual Harddisk VMDK file / backing spec. Can you Edit Settings and change the Cdrom to "Client Device", run a backup, and run a restore of it?

If this is the case, a somewhat cumbersome workaround is as follows; this will restore the VMDK disks to a different pre-existing VM.

1. Create a new VM with no disks.

+ 2. In VDR Plugin, select the VM you wish to restore.+

+ 3. In the Restore Wizard select "Show Existing Inventory" and find the VM created in step 1.+

+ 4. Drag the disks from the VM you want to restore to the VM created in step 1.+

+ 5. Restore.+

I'm following up with the bug to see where we are and if this matches.

I changed the CD/DVD Drive 1 = Client Device. I performed a backup and then was able to successfully do a restore.

I also try the "workaround", and I was able to restore a VMDK to a different pre-existing VM. It's clunky...but - that worked, also.

0 Kudos
WillEastbury
Contributor
Contributor

We also have this issue, the workarounds appear to work.

When will this bug be fixed?

Thanks,

Will

0 Kudos
KBuchanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I heard the next patch release may have this resolved.

Kevin

0 Kudos
DanGew
Contributor
Contributor

We have a similar error: vmware data recovery incompatible device backing specified for device "2". (notice the 2 instead of 1)

There was no CD attached at the moment of backup.

We are using Backup Appliance Version 1.0.2.562

Dan

0 Kudos