VMware Cloud Community
theju
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to properly remove VDP ?

Hi,

how can I completly and properly remove VDP appliance ?

Destrying the virtual machine doesn't change nothing, vpd still apear in the web client.

Thank for your help

Theju

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

In your vCenter, open object browser - https://<ip of your vcenter>/mob

Once prompted, provide the vcenter credentails

Click on content

Click onthe extensionmanager

You should some extension with vdp (eg:- com.vmware.vdp) or similar

clcik on unrgisterextension method and enter "com.vmware.vpd" or whatever you see in the above step

click on Invoke method.

You are done !

Restart the web client service and you are all set.

-Suresh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Access the Object Browser of your vCenter and unregister the VDP plugin.

After that, restart the web client .

You will not more see 'vSphere Data Protection' in UI

-Suresh
theju
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, thank you for your answer.

Where did I acces to the Object Browser ?

Thank

Theju

0 Kudos
theju
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, I've found the https://vcenter/mob

😉

Thank you

0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

In your vCenter, open object browser - https://<ip of your vcenter>/mob

Once prompted, provide the vcenter credentails

Click on content

Click onthe extensionmanager

You should some extension with vdp (eg:- com.vmware.vdp) or similar

clcik on unrgisterextension method and enter "com.vmware.vpd" or whatever you see in the above step

click on Invoke method.

You are done !

Restart the web client service and you are all set.

-Suresh
0 Kudos
stevewalker74
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am aware of the advice in this thread about how to remove the extension from the vCenter Web Client - but what about removing the entry of only one particular VDP appliance which appears in the drop down list when you connect?

Let's say I have four VDP appliances, numbered VMware Data Protection 1, 2, 3, 4 and I have to rebuild or even permanently decommission one of these. What steps do I have to do to remove one of the entries in the list without removing the entire snap-in?

This question has arisen because I have a peculiar issue with one appliance; every time I rebuild it seems to behave in a strange way - so I would like to rebuild it now and call it VMware Data Protection 5. Since that appliance used to be called #4, I would like to delete the old entry - how can I achieve this?

Many thanks,

Steve

stevewalker74
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have now tried installing a new VDP appliance using the same IP and hostname as the previous incarnation but with a different VM name. I don't know how it works, but the new VDP appliance's name is listed in the drop down box (along with the other working appliances) minus the one which it replaced. Is it that each registration of an appliance with vCenter on a given IP address can only have one entry or is their some subtle de-registration going on behind the scenes when an appliance is shut down?

0 Kudos
YoshikiMa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I´m trying to find the same answer. :smileyblush:

0 Kudos
stevewalker74
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think from experience (now) that if you shut down a VDP appliance it deregisters itself from vCenter so that eventually you will no longer see the appliance's name in the list.

0 Kudos
YoshikiMa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, as you mentioned it I remembered that some times some of VDP VMs were missing on the listing when they where shutdown, but I doesn't happen always, for example yesterday a shutdown one and today it's still being listed on the WebClient VDP section. :smileyconfused:

I now tried to delete a VDP VM and it was removed from the WebClient VDP section's list automatically. So this is good news. Smiley Happy

CraigD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I also suggest that before you delete the VDP VM (using "Delete from Disk") you double-check to make sure that the VDP VM isn't configured with / still attached to the virtual disk for any of the VMs it was backing up.  Sometimes in its normal operation, if a job failed the VDP VM might still be configured for the disk of another VM that it was backing up.  If I tried to delete the VDP VM at that point I imagine I would get an error as long as the other VM was powered on, but I would rather not take that chance.  Just take a look at the datastores and/or the virtual hardware to make sure you know what you are deleting.

0 Kudos