VMware Cloud Community
eniomarconcini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to move a VM into two host servers

Hello guys,

I have two host servers running VMWare ESXi 4, wich host has just one VM, and now I have to move a MV from a host to another.

How can I do it?

best regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

The simplest way to download vmware converter, and use that to move the vm between the hosts.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,
The simplest and fastest way is using Converter Standalone. 
If you have vCenter Server, you also can move the VM from a host to another using vMotion.
Best Regards
Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

No need to convert the VM (though converter will work) - get hold of a free copy of FastSCP from Veeam and just copy all the files for the VM from /vmfs/volums/<datastore>/<vmname> on the source host, to the matching localtion on the destination host.

After this, just use the datastore browser to browse to the .vmx file. right click the *.vmx file and select 'Add to Inventory'

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

FastSCP is good to move a VM from a host to another, but from my experience, Converter is faster...

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos
eniomarconcini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hello guys,

First of all I'm trying vCenter Converter, so if get any error I will try by SCP, but this last way I need to activate SSHD by inetd (unsuported mode), all rigth?

bye

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

FastSCP will work without activating SSH on the host.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
eniomarconcini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

nice!

I'm wating finishing with Converter, and I will try with this free Veeam FastSCP, let me see the results!

thanks all!

0 Kudos