VMware Cloud Community
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to monitor Failed backups in VDP?

Hi,

There has already been some discussions about monitoring Failed backups in VDP, but I couldn't find any appropriate solution. I've checked Alarms Definitions in the vCenter and there is no defined alarm for the Failed backup event among the nine "VDP: [xxx]" alarms. Is there really no automation available for VDP to notify user of a failed backup?

The only thing that seems to work for now is the e-mail Summary Report where you can see the number of Failed backups ... however, this is only a passive monitoring (should the backup operator read this report every single day and make sure there is no failed backup? Smiley Sad )... I would like to be alerted somehow when a backup for a particular VM fails.

@VMware: are there any plans to integrate Failed backups monitoring into the vCenter alarms?

@anybody: Has anybody found some other workaround? Maybe by parsing avamarclient logs by Nagios or by parsing the Summary Report e-mail by Nagios?

-- Kind regards, Marko. VCP5
0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Good ol Avamar Light. We are (unfortunately) a full scale Avamar shop for all our backups. It is an amazingly complex and unforgiving product (don't reboot your VDP appliance during the blackout window!). I'm not the main Avamar guy here but I don't think there is anyway to be alerted real time of failures even in the full product and definately not from VDP. I was struggling today just troubleshooting failed VDP 5.1 backups. So very little info is shown in the GUI. VMware will probably say "whadyawant for free?!" I've heard they've updated in 5.5, hopefully a little more full featured!

0 Kudos
pitogo
Contributor
Contributor

OK so we didn't buy the vCloud suite for only the VDP appliance but thought it would be ok to use.  Well, we have 4 appliances and backup jobs failing on each one.  Troubleshooting is a pain.  And it doesn't support vsphere replication at the same time.  oh well...

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would open a support ticket. They have a crew dedicated to VDP. I made the mistake of rebooting my appliance during blackout and had to do a re-deploy which luckily is not bad with the appliance. Your log data is here: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2033910

0 Kudos