VMware Cloud Community
christianapr
Contributor
Contributor

How to backup de whole VMware Data Recovery folder (VDR)

Hi,

we are using a 500Gb disc for our backups, but we want once a week copy de whole content to an external usb disc and save it in another place.

How can we do that? We want that we can acces directly from vdr to this external disc (connected to our NAS like a standard internal disk).

Have we to preformat this disk?

With cp /mnt/Backup_disk/VMware\ Data\  Recovery   /mnt/ExernalDisk     is enough?

thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
aparis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey

Do you try to backup the volume where you are saving your backup.

Try with Acronis that permit you backup the 500gb volume and save it in one file into your USB disk

I hope this information comes usefull to you.

Andre Paris

andre.paris.sica@gmail.com

Andre Paris andre.paris.sica@gmail.com Megaweb skype: andre.paris twitter: megaweb_uy Por favor, no olviden de calificar las respuestas que resultaron de su ayuda o fueron correctas. Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. Regards/Saludos
0 Kudos
HMUSA
Contributor
Contributor

I've been looking for an answer to a similar question.  Is there a best practice way to automate backing up the VDR to a removable media?  I love how VDR works: snapshots, deduplication, compression, scheduling, speed to disk etc.  But there's one more step we need for it to be ready for Disaster Recover and that's getting it off-site.

The manual route I've got in place is to shut down the VDR appliance, browse my Datastore in vSphere Client, Download the VDR folder (entire machine) to a network share, and copy that to USB or tape.

Our 2-host vSphere Cluster has direct-connect SAS storage, so it's not on the network to just copy from a NAS/SAN.

I guess, ideally Backup Exec or Retrospect etc. would have a plugin to vSphere that would shut down the VDR for me, backup to tape w/o messing up the compression/deduplication already in there, and restart the VDR when it's done.  Curious if anyone knows such a thing exists.

THANKS!

0 Kudos
larjona
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I have implemented this solutions on a scenarios and it works perfectly.

http://xtravirt.com/xd10131

I integrated Backup Exec 2010 with VMware Data Recovery.

0 Kudos