VMware Cloud Community
briandatamatter
Contributor
Contributor

How does one cancel vDR backups ?

I have two backups that have been running for days .... and I wanted to know what the best practice was to stop/cancel/abort them ?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I have two backups that have been running for days .... and I wanted to know what the best practice was to stop/cancel/abort them ?

For abort/stop you can simply go into running tasks, click the job or VM that is currently backing up, and click 'stop'.

For Cancel you can change or edit the schedule of the job so it doesn't run automatically, you clear all for the backup schedule.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Also, look at this thread around "stuck" backups. Are you running VDR 1.0.1?

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/220337?start=20&tstart=0

0 Kudos
briandatamatter
Contributor
Contributor

These backups do not show up in the tasks. What do I do then ?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

These backups do not show up in the tasks. What do I do then ?

Are you running the plug -in to manage the VDR appliance? It won't show up in the vCenter task list only inside the appliance itself.

How do you know backups are running?

0 Kudos
briandatamatter
Contributor
Contributor

Also, look at this thread around "stuck" backups. Are you running VDR 1.0.1?

Yes I'm running 1.0.1. Although unlike the KB article , this is a fresh vSphere setup with no baggage associated with an upgrade. And it is also a fresh vDR 1.0.1 setup.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
briandatamatter
Contributor
Contributor

These backups do not show up in the tasks. What do I do then ?Are you running the plug -in to manage the VDR appliance? It won't show up in the vCenter task list only inside the appliance itself.

How do you know backups are running?

Thanks for your help....

Yes I'm running the plugin to manage vDR. Is there another way that I'm not aware of ?

I know the backups are running because the appliance shows me they are running;

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Brian

Can you cut and paste the view from Reports (and highlight Running Tasks)?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I know the backups are running because the appliance shows me they are running;

OK, there are 4 tabs, backups, restore, configuration and reports

That reports tab there are many options, errors and tasks, running tasks, virtual machines.. Running Tasks tab under reports is what you want. That's where your jobs are running.

You click one, and click 'stop' from that tab.

Do you see these jobs running in that tab?

0 Kudos
bmckerritnu
Contributor
Contributor

I know the backups are running because the appliance shows me they are running;OK, there are 4 tabs, backups, restore, configuration and reports

That reports tab there are many options, errors and tasks, running tasks, virtual machines.. Running Tasks tab under reports is what you want. That's where your jobs are running.

You click one, and click 'stop' from that tab.

Do you see these jobs running in that tab?

Cool. Only thing is, I've attempted to stop the tasks and they are still running. And I now 'stop' is greyed out.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Cool. Only thing is, I've attempted to stop the tasks and they are still running. And I now 'stop' is greyed out.

Ok the only thing you can do then is restart the VDR appliance, either ssh into the ip address or use the web.

0 Kudos
bmckerritnu
Contributor
Contributor

Cool. Only thing is, I've attempted to stop the tasks and they are still running. And I now 'stop' is greyed out. Ok the only thing you can do then is restart the VDR appliance, either ssh into the ip address or use the web.

I had logged a call with support and that is what they said......... /etc/init.d/datarecovery stop

Even although that command 'failed' according to the output, it did stop the datarecovery process.

I then started it up again and noticed, through the vsphere client, that the snapshots were being deleted. This completed successfully and all is now well.

Thanks to all who commented and support for the fix.

0 Kudos