VMware Cloud Community
Terzz13
Contributor
Contributor

Help with Open filer and Vmware Data Recovery

Hi,

i am stuck!!please help:Here is the issue:

i have installed open filer and have succesfully linked between the Vsphere and openfiler and created 3 IScsi disks.

I am being able to browse in data stores the disks i created plus i am also being able to transfer files.whihc shows me the indications that it works fine.

Question 1 :The names(for the volumes) created in openfiler are different from the one  i see in vsphere. I had changed it myself to a different name in the Vsphere.Does this affect anything between open filer and Vsphere?

Further i started installing VDR in my system.. followed the steps.. and when i deploy the OVF template...i am getting this error which makes the whole ESX host to crash/frozen which i end up rebooting. and hence messing up the whole installation process.

here is the error i get:

error.JPG

Please help: Been struggling on this for the past few days now!

Thanks

T

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Please provide more information about your ESX(i) host paltform and your Openfiler platform. Where is the error in the image from. Where are you installing the vDR appliance. On an Openfiler iscsi disk or ?????

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
mreed9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In response to the first question the name of the volume created on the openfiler storage is relevent only to the openfiler as all vmware sees is the target iqn. The datastore name is what vmware utilizes to address the storage for itself, the two don't communicate such information between each other. It doesn't affect anything. You may want to try changing the datastore that the VDR appliance is set to reside on if the error is after it is fully created.

Terzz13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi..

thanks for the reply..

ESX 4.o is the host. i have 3 virtual machines in the host including Open filer.

and the open filer is shared by two hosts that i have created but i checked the data store and made sure there was no data in it!

i have been tryin to install the VDR on the host ESX which i had created

The idea  here was to send the flow of data from the host machine to the iSCSi disk.

the error i get from is in the VDR console is at the initial phase after deploying the OVF template and when  i turn the appliance ON..  the booting begins and then stops  there with the error message in the console.( i also gt error at the network part but the i belive  i can put a DHCP do it really doesn bother me much)

thanks!

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you tried redownloading the appliance and attempting the deploy again?

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Terzz13
Contributor
Contributor

Yes Many times... and the aftermath to all the redeploying and stuff i gt is .. my host gets stuck/crash.. like right now its happening...

the unusual part is normally only one of my host used to get crashed/frozen...but now i have two of my host having the problem...and i cant login now.

think the damn Open filer is causing all the trouble!!

please any body help me on this!!!

Thanks!

T

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do you see anything in the logs of your ESX hosts that points to possible storage issues.  It sounds like you might have some flaky connectivity issues with OpenFiler.  I use OpenFiler in my home lab and have only seen something like this when it was being flaky.  I specifically saw storage connectivity dropping and this would cause the issues.

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Terzz13
Contributor
Contributor

the error that i had displayed when i checked online for linux machines showed that the datastore could be corrupted...that is why i was asking QUESTION 1

in terms of connectivity...it connected well with the ESX host.. but for VDR i was not able to set a static ip in advance i figured out that after turning on the appliance  and when the booting happens.. even though i see the error " network configuration has failed".. it would come back in a blue screen wher i can add in the IP..

this is what i assume happens.. wat would suggest to check in the network connection?? because my DNS  and the rest of the setting looks fine.

Thanks!

T

0 Kudos
mreed9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If multiple hosts are connected to a single lun on the openfiler try disconnecting one of the esx host. If you have space available on local storage deploy the VDR appliance there and power off the openfiler to determine if it is an issue with the openfiler.

0 Kudos
Terzz13
Contributor
Contributor

I already deployed the OVT template in the local storage and it works very fine.

The only thing i need to try is by disconnecting onf the host and seeing.

currently cant do anything .. both my hosts are disconnected Smiley Sad i tried pinging and there is no action there!

(probably its because I did a reboot)but overall aftr deploying the OVF template  and gets crahsed it becaomees very slow (including reboot..takes me 35 mins some times)

Thanks,

T

0 Kudos
Terzz13
Contributor
Contributor

I think you are right .. i have lost complete network connection i cannot ping into anything and cannot log in as well...

how can i fix this now?? any one can help please??

Thanks
T

0 Kudos