VMware Cloud Community
BrendanMarmont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Got any experience with Veeam? VMWare files are locked...

I'm looking at using Veeam for a DR solution. It looks like I am not the first to experience this issue http://communities.vmware.com/message/1900559#1900559

Problem: I am unable to successfully backup a VM via the management server using Veeam. I am however able to backup via a specific host in the cluster.

The Veeam support guys rightly said it's a VMWare issue highlighting that we can backup directl from a host but not from the vcenter server...

Thanks for any input!

Brendan

After running a few tests, we are now sucessfully backing up via Veeam.

Our management server was not presented any of the LUNs when it was originally configured. So I created a test LUN and presented to hosts and the management server, created a couple of vms and the backup went through fine.

I was also able to install a virtualized vCenter 5 server and all jobs processed fine.

It makes sense that the management server needs to be ‘LUN aware’

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vMario156
Expert
Expert

I haven´t seen this issue but I can tell you that you can have multiple shared datastores on an esx host, when using Veeam B&R. How bad would that be if not Smiley Happy

Are you able to add the vCenter server properly to the Veeam Console?

Which transport mode are you using (direct SAN, appliance or network mode) ?

Blog: http://vKnowledge.net
0 Kudos
BrendanMarmont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Mario,

The transport mode is set to Automatic, I tried hard setting to Direct SAN and Network. Still get the same error as below.

3/20/2012 9:26:34 AM :: Error: Client error: File does not exist or locked. VMFS path: [[akl_l7] nzaklapp01/nzaklapp01.vmx].
Please, try to download specified file using connection to the ESX server where the VM registered.
Failed to create NFC download stream. NFC path: [nfc://conn:10.160.0.168,nfchost:host-36,stg:datastore-12779@nzaklapp01/nzaklapp01.vmx].

I spoke to another chap next door who has a similar setup to ours, they don't have the issue, so Veeam support's resloution of not having shared storage doesn't gel.

The problem with us only occurs when running the job via the management server, it runs fine when pointing it direct to the host, but that isn't going to help us if the vm is vMotioned else where.

Cheers

Brendan

0 Kudos