VMware Cloud Community
biokovo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Few quastions about vdr

I use vdr 1.1, and two backup destinations: local and network share.

1. When destination is full, how to free the space (delete old backups)?!

2. If I backup this network share (windows directory) on tape, delete it from disk and after some time I restore it from tape on the same place, will vdr see that correct (like restore point)?

3. How to install and start vft/vsftp server on vdr (CentOS5.2)? I install ftp with #yum install ftp, but I cannot start service (not very familiar with centos.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
nathanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Biokovo,

Have you read the VDR Admin Guide?

Point 1.

Perhaps your retention policy is to great for your disk capacity? Can you increase capacity? Or refer to the Admin Guide.

Excerpt from Guide:

Mark Restore Points for Removal or Locking

Backup job settings can be overridden so restore points are either kept by locking them or removed by marking them for deletion.

Prerequisites

Before you can lock restore points or mark them for removal, you must have installed and configured Data Recovery and you must have at least one restore point.

Procedure

1. In the vSphere Client, select Home > Solutions and Applications > VMware Data Recovery and click Connect.

2. Click the Restore tab, and select one or more restore points.

a. To mark restore points for deletion, click Mark for Delete.

b. To preserve restore points indefinitely, click Lock.

Restore points marked for deletion are deleted during the next integrity check or reclaim operation. To force the immediate deletion of restore points, manually start an integrity check.

End excerpt from Guide

Point 2.

VDR does not support exports to Tape, if you require an off site backup of your VM backups perhaps you should look at VCB using manual scripts and NBD or SAN backups? Or backup to VMDK and export the VDR disk then take this off site. If you delete the data from a File share I do not think that the VDR database will be to happy and you would most likely get unpredictable results and these would not come to light until you needed them, test, test and test but if you perform unsupported operations, things outside what the product is designed to do I would look for a product that does what you need it to do, makes sense?

Point 3.

Why? This is a virtual appliance designed to perform backups to disk. Again this is outside the scope of the product and you may well corrupt your backups.

I hope this helps

Nathan

Please reward points for Helpful and correct answers

Nathan VCP