VMware Cloud Community
Markieboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Failed to power on virtual machine Centos7. Unable to enumerate all disks.

Hi,

can anyone please help me fixing this. the error shows up after I deleted the Centos7-000002.vmdk manually at datastore browser.

now I can't open the VM and I can't restore the snapshots. is there any way can I still recover this VM?.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From the contents of the two provided .vmdk files, I assume that "Centos7-000003.vmdk" is the most recent snapshot file, i.e. the one that's in the VM's settings (.vmx). Please double-check that. Based on this assumtion, I created the attached "Centos7-000002.vmdk".

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey Markieboy​,

Quick question did you also deleted the "xxxx-flat.vmdk" file from your datastore that references that disk?

If you did not do that you can try to follow the next procedure: VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
Markieboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Lalegre

Thank you for your response. i didn't delete the "xxxx-flat.vmdk".   but i don't see that file in my datastore browser. check this screenshots.

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You still have the delta which is good so i suggest you following the procedure that i sent you above.

0 Kudos
Markieboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will do sir. thank you

0 Kudos
Markieboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sir Lalegre   

how would i do all these things from the KB you sent? cause as of now. i still not able to power on my VM.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As you probably know, each virtual disk file on an ESXi host consists of two files, a small descriptor/header .vmdk file, and a data .vmdk (flat/delta/sesparse) file.

What needs to be done is to re-create the deleted descriptor .vmdk file. The required entries for this file can be retrieved from the other descriptor .vmdk files.

What I like you to do is to download the two descriptor files "Centos7.vmdk", and "Centos7-000003.vmdk", compress/zip them, and attach the .zip archive to your next reply.

To do this, temporarily enable the SSH service on the ESXi host. Then use e.g. WinSCP to connect to the host, and to download the two files.

André

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Please do not create duplicate threads. The other instance you created in the Cloud disaster recovery area has been archived.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Markieboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

apologies. thank you scott

0 Kudos
Markieboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, a.p. thank you for the information. I actually don't know that until now. please see attached file. I downloaded the files from the datastore browser.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From the contents of the two provided .vmdk files, I assume that "Centos7-000003.vmdk" is the most recent snapshot file, i.e. the one that's in the VM's settings (.vmx). Please double-check that. Based on this assumtion, I created the attached "Centos7-000002.vmdk".

André

0 Kudos
Markieboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes, you are right "Centos7-000003.vmdk" is the most recent snapshot file. I uploaded the file that you created and now I'm able to power on my VM. thank you so much I really appreciate your help.a.p.

0 Kudos