VMware Cloud Community
chrisAUS
Contributor
Contributor

Error when exporting OVF template

Hi guys,

I have a need to backup vApp environments for archiving purposes. I had the solution to export the vApp as a whole using the OVF template function. This worked for me during testing however now that I have moved to final deployment testing the function simply hangs and then gives me a very non-descript error message as below.

InvalidArgument (com.vmware.vapi.std.errors.invalid_argument) => {

messages = [LocalizableMessage (com.vmware.vapi.std.localizable_message) => {

id = com.vmware.vdcs.util.unhandled_error,

defaultMessage = An error occured: future must be done,

}],

data =  <null>

}

If there is a solution to the problem I would be greatly appreciative. Or if there is a better method of backing up vApps that would also help. Users DO NOT have access to the data store.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The correct method to backup a vApp is using a backup solution, for example Veeam has the ability to maintain the structure of the vApp during the backup and also during the restore. However this error you are facing during the Export is probably related to not having enough permissions. Please make sure that with the user you are currently using you have this permission: vApp.Export.

I am assumming that you have vSphere 5.5 or later because that permission exist since that version (and i do not know if older also).

However take into account that you are backing up the vApp but in case of a disaster you will need to restore it. For doing that you or the users who are responsible of those tasks will need more permissions even to the datastore:

• All Privileges > Datastore > Allocate space
  • All Privileges > Network > Assign network
  • All Privileges > Virtual machine > Configuration > Add new disk
  • All Privileges > Virtual machine > Configuration > Advanced
  • All Privileges > vApp > Import
0 Kudos