VMware Cloud Community
Hojjat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error in backup & migration process

Hi everyone,

we purchase a new server in our office. I want to migrate all VMs from old ESXi server to new ESXi server. I've installed a Veeam Backup & Replication Free Edition to take backup from VMs or perform Quick Migration between ESXi hosts. All VMs were successfully transferred from old server to new server, except 1 server (TFS Server). I have an error in both transferring & backing up TFS server. When I want to transfer TFS or backup from it, the error "The file <unspecified finename> was not found" occurs.

I turned off TFS virtual machine and started the backup procedure but I got the same error. I was trying to use another third-party tools for backing up called Acronis vmProtect. With this tool, I got the same error but in clearly format. The error is :

Task 'Back up to 'Local folders'' failed: 'Failed to create a backup.

Additional info:

--------------------

Error code: 3

Module: 435

LineInfo: 555b5abba09501ce

Fields: $module : C:\Program Files\Acronis\vmProtect\Windows Agent\vmms.exe

--------------------

Error code: 32786

Module: 114

LineInfo: 28314c961de7d32e

Fields:

--------------------

Error code: 353

Module: 149

LineInfo: a71592046cb2c5f6

Fields:

--------------------

Error code: 2

Module: 218

LineInfo: cd07f9d978d3a2a3

Fields:

Message: Error occurred while running the backup and recovery engine.

--------------------

Error code: 1080

Module: 1

LineInfo: d1ab7fa1e56ec832

Fields: $module : C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\vmProtectAgent\vmProtectService.exe

--------------------

Error code: 13

Module: 149

LineInfo: d1ab7fa1e56ec9b9

Fields:

--------------------

Error code: 103

Module: 83

LineInfo: a859dd78cc91defd

Fields:

Message: Failed to open the virtual machine ([datastore1] TFS Server/TFS Server.vmx).

--------------------

Error code: 253

Module: 83

LineInfo: c7610e0a857bedf4

Fields:

--------------------

Error code: 32

Module: 0

LineInfo: c7610e0a857bedf4

Fields:

Message: Awaiting task 'CreateSnapshot' has failed. Reason: File was not found.

--------------------'.

According to this error, snapshot creation was failed. I did the following task according the VMware website KBs :

1.       In vSphere Client, turned off TFS VM and in Edit Settings\Options tab\General section\clicked Configuration Parameters. button

2.       Value of disk.EnableUUID was True. I changed it to false.

But nothing wasn't changed and the same error was occurred.

According to another KB :

1.       Unistalled the VMware Tools from TFS Vm and after restart process, reinstalled VMware Tools in Custom format.

2.       In Customization, Unchecked Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) and reinstalled VMware Tools.

But nothing wasn't changed and the same error was occurred.

My datastore screenshot is available as an attachment.

Let me know if you have any useful recommendation to solving problem.

Thanks all.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can commit the snapshot using the VI client. Right click on the virtual machine and  click Snapshot | Snapshot manager.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ldelloca
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There is a pretty big snapshot in that VM, and maybe it could be the problem in trying to move the VM itself.

Could you try to first commit the snapshot, and then try again to move the VM?

Luca.

Luca Dell'Oca | vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017, VCAP-DCD, CISSP #58353 | http://www.virtualtothecore.com | @dellock6 | http://www.linkedin.com/in/lucadelloca | If you find this post useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
Hojjat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks,

Snapshot filesize of SQL DB Server is big too (4,203,932 KB), but it was successfully transferred to new server. However, I want to do your solution. What should I do? I only can take backup or migrate VMs (not files) in Veeam and Acronis vmProtect. How can I commit snapshot first?

Thank you so much.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can commit the snapshot using the VI client. Right click on the virtual machine and  click Snapshot | Snapshot manager.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
Hojjat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. Deleting the last snapshot was resolve my problem. I did it in Snapshot Manager and migration process error was fixed.

Thank you so much.

0 Kudos