VMware Cloud Community
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

Error -3960 Cannot quiesce

I have a vDR backupset of 12 VMs. 10 works fine, 1 errors because of too many snapshots (will fix that soon) and then we have this last fellow that won't work:

Windows 2008 SP2 Server running TFS. When a vDR backup starts (or I make a manual snapshot with "quiesce file system" enabled)  the system log in the VM does not reflect any problem, it says that it starts some COM VSS things and services and all is just Information messages. Fine.

However, the snapshot does not happen and of course the vDR backup fails for that VM. I get an error saying that it could not quiesce the VM (Please see enclosed picture). I have Googled all kinds of solutions but none seem to help me or be a perfect fit for my problem.

What can be done to get vDR to work on this last VM?

Best regards

Henrik

0 Kudos
7 Replies
nielse
Expert
Expert

Can you give some more details about the specific VM?

How many vCPU / RAM / disk size / shared or local storage?

Did you try to reinstall the VMware tools?

@nielsengelen - http://foonet.be - VCP4/5
0 Kudos
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

2 vCPU

4096 MB vRAM

C: 30 GB (Lazy Thick)

😧 60 GB (Lazy Thick)

vHW version: 8

I am right now trying to get permission to reboot the VM. I just checked with the VMTools Setup program from the CD and it appears the VSS component is installed correctly.

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

Do you have sufficient free space inside the VM? What does the VM do? does it have high IO ? 

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

Not high I/O. Mostly idle even.

Yep. A few GB of free space inside the VM on each volume.

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

Can you do a manual quiesced snapshot on that VM ?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

Nope. Exactly the same problem happens then.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I found this kb, check if help - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101819...

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos