VMware Cloud Community
tanmfec
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Snapshot: Do I need to wait until it complete?

Or I can use it immediately after I clicked the snapshot?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DARKINF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good day.

You have to use it (rollaback to it for example) only after it was taken from your VM.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@tanmfec 

What do you mean by “use it”?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@tanmfec,

By 'use it immediately' if you mean rolling back to snapshot, yes you can do that. For ex: You've taken a snapshot -->  made some changes to the VM and then decide to discard those changes, you revert using the snapshots.

If you are looking for anything specific or the concern is totally different, please share more details

Hope that helps.

tanmfec
Contributor
Contributor

sorry for make you confused. I mean to continue using the VM.

for example, after I snapshot before installing software. Can I immediately install it and revert if I make mistake? or I have to wait until snapshot complete then I will able to install.

thanks all for reply

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@tanmfec ,

Wait for the snapshot creation task to complete.

Note: If you take a memory snapshot, it will take little longer than as it has to snap the memory state of the VM. Non-memory snapshot will be quick, VM will be powered off when you revert to snapshot.

Please refer 'Process to Create snapshot' section here for more information --> https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1015180 

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

It's an important point to know about the snapshot before doing everything: When you take a snapshot of your VM, this operation cuts the VMDK into the two separate VMDK files (delta and main) in a parent-child relation to let the VM's real-time operations continue their working. Especially in the case of VM Backup execution, it's very useful.

for more investigation about the snapshot generation, read the following post in my personal blog:

https://virtualundercity.blogspot.com/2019/08/virtual-machine-snapshot-details.html 

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos