VMware Cloud Community
pm24
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 7.0 free and XSIBackup free

Hello,

I need your help.

I want using XSIBackup Free on ESXi 7.0.

Backup  working correct, but problem is with email notifications.

XSIBackup must be able to make a change to the file:  /etc/vmware/firewall/service.xml

If I try to change the permission manually (from 444 to 644), ESXi will return this error message:

[root@HPMicroS01-ESXi70:~] chmod 644 /etc/vmware/firewall/service.xml

chmod: /etc/vmware/firewall/service.xml: Operation not permitted

[root@HPMicroS01-ESXi70:~]

Thx. for help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Irwintech
Contributor
Contributor

Is there good automatic free backup solution out there?

Thanks,
Casey

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You need a paid edition of ESXi to properly back up virtual machines. Any paid edition will do.

0 Kudos
Irwintech
Contributor
Contributor

Yea I'm looking into Veeam with my vendor.

I do have a question though....

I have RAID 10 that failed one drive. I have the new drive in place and I figured before I put the raid into rebuild status. I should backup the vmdk files, I downloaded the files to an external drive already.

Is that all I need in a just in case situation?

As far as I have assumed this was acceptable but a manual process of course by downloading them etc.

Thanks
Casey

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

VMDKs aren't like other files. They don't (often) take kindly to being downloaded with conventional tools. If you don't have property backup software in place (like Veeam), that's really the first order of business. But to use it, like I said, you need a paid edition of ESXi. There are free versions of backup tools available (Veeam has one), but they require access to the APIs which are only unlocked with a paid edition.

0 Kudos
DanielJGF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The simplest way to overcome this lockdown is to disable the firewall during the SMTP submission process. This might not be suitable for enterprises with stark security requirements, but may be reasonable for some other people, specially if your host is inside a controlled LAN segment.

We will launch an update containing that fix in short, just get to the URL https://33hops.com/xsibackup-vmware-esxi-backup.html  in some days to download the new version.

Still, you will just be able to perform a basic Vmkfstools backup on ESXi 7.0.0

Update 2020-11-14:

©XSIBackup-DC is fully compatible with ESXi 7.0, current version 1.4.2.4 has been revised and improved to work with ©ESXi 7.0

0 Kudos