VMware Cloud Community
uwish
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 5.1 Hosts Sudently Power Down

Hello everyone,

I have a client with Essential Plus and he`s setup with 2 hosts ESXi 5.1, vCenter Appliance, Virtual Data Protection. What happened is that a power failure brutally brought the systems down at once. After powered them back on. VDP stopped working and a couple of Windows 2008 server also got corrupted.

Data protection appliance starts but can`t connect to VDP service. I`ve read everything about and nothing helped me resolving the issue with VDP so I could restore from my backups. Now me and my client are desperate because I don`t see a way of restoring from backups anymore. Any help please?

Best regards to all

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware vCenter™ Server to Backup & Recovery

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just a quick question. Do you have an active support contract with VMware? In this case I strongly recommend to open a support case. Although you may get helpful hints here in the community, I think VMware support is the best option in this case, because you are dealing with production data. Without knowing the specific details (e.g. log files, ...) any change could make things worse.

André

0 Kudos
uwish
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have opened a case with VMWRE for this and it seemed like this was also new for them. Every steps they told me to followed I had already done unsuccessfully.

Info they send me and what they told me to follow...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2016565&sl...

Q: What happens if rollback doesn't work?

If a rollback fails, then deployment of a new VDP appliance is required. Migrating configuration and backup data from one appliance to another is not supported.

• Install a new VDP
  • Copy the boot/OS disk of the new installation onto the datastore folder where the old (bad) VDP was installed and try to start it.

None of the above worked! Customer lost everything! a new VDP was installed!

0 Kudos