VMware Cloud Community
robertkwild
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ERROR CLDELSN3, details: [lon-d-squid] error: cannot delete snapshot

hi all,

got an error on one of my vms when trying to back it up using a backup solution called XSiBackup, the thing is it backs up all my other running vms, just this one all the time generates an error

the error is

ERROR CLDELSN3, details: [lon-d-squid] error: cannot delete snapshot, details: /vmfs/volumes/datastore11/XSIBackup-Free/xsibackup: eval: line 1: disk0: not found /vmfs/volumes/datastore11/XSIBackup-Free/xsibackup: eval: line 1: disk1: not found

its saying it cant delete a snapshot but i see no snapshots (i attach pics)

https://i.postimg.cc/fLgs5C1J/datastore.png

https://i.postimg.cc/3N4TqpH9/settings.png

https://i.postimg.cc/906hHMm2/snap.png

someone mentioned to me, make sure the vmx file is correct and ie the disks are present, i have checked it and all looks good, heres a brief of my vmx with disks

scsi0:0.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"

scsi0:0.fileName = "lon-d-squid.vmdk"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:1.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"

scsi0:1.fileName = "lon-d-squid_1.vmdk"

scsi0:1.present = "TRUE"

can anyone shed some light on this as it would be very much appreciated

many thanks,

rob

30 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Try from an SSH session, datastore browser might not show that file.

0 Kudos
robertkwild
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok when i ssh and do a ls, i can see the both vmdk and flat vmdk files

but when i vi into the flat file i see nothing

0 Kudos
robertkwild
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

when you say this scott...

Have you tried creating a new virtual disk and transferring the data from old to new via the guest OS

how do i do that, i have created a new vm and copied both vmdk files over to the new vm and it worked but it still failed to backup

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I didn't mean copying VMDK files.

Give the VM an additional virtual disk, make it accessible to your guest OS, then copy data from the old virtual disk to the new virtual disk THROUGH the guest OS - whether this is feasible depends on what your data is how your access control works.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
robertkwild
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

so make a new virtual disk on the existing VM ie lon-d-squid and copy that data from vmdk1 to the new disk using the guest OS ie ssh into it and copy it that way

sorry scott if im being a dumb ass here?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That is what I meant - my mind is in "process of elimination" mode...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
robertkwild
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok thanks scott for the clarification

so i imagine the boot drive is fine otherwise it wouldnt boot into linux, ie vmdk which is 1gb disk0

and the 40gb one is vmdk1 ie disk1

but the backup software is complaining about both disk ie disk0 and disk1

0 Kudos
robertkwild
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ive decided enough troubleshooting and im just going to create a new VM as tbh with you guys, i really cant see any differences with this VM and any other linux VM

i dont know why xsibackup is giving me errors for only this VM as to me all the disks look fine

and now im going to look for another free backup solution

thank you all so much for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!

rob

0 Kudos
robertkwild
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

wow!!!!!!!!!!!

i have made a brand new vm and guess what, im getting errors

[squid02] Starting backup (size is 30720M on 30720M file)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XSIBackup will backup your VMs while they are running, so that users can continue to use the VM

while the backup is taking place. You can also run --backup-how=cold|warm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hot backup selected for VM: [squid02], will not be switched off

[squid02] info: boot partition is MBR

Removing snapshots, please wait...

Syncronizing config files

[squid02] info: VMWare tools were not detected, the system will not be quiesced

/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/XSIBackup-Free/xsibackup: eval: line 1: disk0: not found

Backing up virtual disks...

scsi0:0.fileName = "squid02.vmdk"

im pretty sure it doesnt like this vm as its squid and it has a lot of services on it and one of the services is messing with the backup software

its got

squidclamav

squid

clamav

c-icap

maybe its clamav/c-icap messing it up

im going to turn it off and backup when its off

0 Kudos
robertkwild
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

what a suprise, it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[squid02] Starting backup (size is 30720M on 30720M file)

XSIBackup will backup your VMs while they are running, so that users can continue to use the VM

while the backup is taking place. You can also run --backup-how=cold|warm

Hot backup selected for VM: [squid02], the VM is off though

[squid02] info: boot partition is MBR

Removing snapshots, please wait...

Syncronizing config files

scsi0:0.fileName = "squid02.vmdk"

Destination disk format: VMFS thin-provisioned

Cloning disk '/vmfs/volumes/datastore2/squid02/squid02.vmdk'...

Clone: 100% done.

0 Kudos
DanielJGF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, this is Daniel from ©XSIBackup development. We have followed your case here too. We couldn't help much in the beginning as you didn't provide much information, apart from these two lines

./xsibackup: eval: line 1: disk0: not found - not sure what this error refers to

The error is not very helpful, that's why we recommended you to debug the script to narrow the problem down.

You should keep in mind some basic principles that will for sure help you in the future.

- The contents of your VM, no matter whether they are files or programs can't affect the hypervisor functioning. Only in very seldom cases some service that can't be quiesced may delay the snapshot taking phase and end up in a snapshot error. For that to happen, you should be using the --snapshot=doquiesce argument, which was not the case.

- In your case, as you were not trying to quiesce the VM, snapshotting the VM couldn't fail, even if you were running an exigent service inside the guest (except for some other reason: lack of space, hardware problem...). You could end up with a VM copy which may not have consistent data (as you weren't quiescing the VM), some of the last data in your I/O buffers could have been partially written if the snapshot request interrupted it being written to disk, but that is a different issue which is not detected at the hypervisor level.

- When you convert virtual disks from some other format, you are adding an additional factor that could add some uncertainty, as whether the resulting .vmdk and -flat.vmdk files are fully consistent with what your ESXi version expects to find. You should mention that when requesting help.

- In most of the cases, if not all. Any inconsistency in the .vmdk disks can be solved by cloning them to a new file via vmkfstools.

- Editing any of the config files with some external editor may render them unusable or inconsistent.

- Disk consistency at the VM level can be rapidly checked by:

1/ Making sure the .vmdk files pointed by the .vmx file are present.

2/ Making sure that the .vmdk files point to the right -flat.vmdk files.

3/ Deleting all snapshots and consolidating the VM plus deleting the .vmsd file, which will be automatically generated again next time you switch the VM on.

In your case the problem seemed to be originated in the .vmsd file, as its syntax includes the .diskX keyword, where disk is an ordinal related to the existing snapshots.

If you are an ©XSIBackup-Free user and need to request help, please do so in our forum at: https://33hops.com/forum/

And remember that all we know is what you let us know, thus please always provide the backup job the full output log and any other relevant circumstance.

0 Kudos