VMware Cloud Community
btburnett3
Contributor
Contributor

E10007 Miscellaneous Error Backing Up VM

I have recently setup a small new virtual environment.  One of the key features is a vDP backup appliance running on a host at physically separate location, with backups being performed over the network.  This allows for backups that are protected from disasters like fire.

I am trying to backup 3 VMs from one host to this backup appliance, using a single backup job.  Two of them are able to backup fine, but one VM is always erroring out with this error:

VDP: Backup job (Main Backup) failed to backup client Main Server.  Execution error: E10007:Miscellaneous Error.

I haven't been able to find much more of value, except poking around some text logs in the vDP appliance I saw some SSL communications errors in the nfcssl protocol.

I should also add that the VM in question is a Windows Server 2008 R2 standard guest OS.  I have set disk.EnableUUID to false, and I'm using vshadow.exe in a script file to prep the VSS for backup during the snapshot process.  However, one of the other VMs that is successfully backing up is the exact same server OS and configuration, and it is working fine.

Both hosts are Dell servers running ESXi 5.1.

Also, this VM is also the largest of the 3 VMs, with a 1 TB partition with about 100GB utilized.  At one point it had an RDM disk attached, but after reading that can cause problems I have detached it and still get the error.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Brant

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Did you checked the events in the task console for particular failure (Misc Error).

-Suresh
0 Kudos
btburnett3
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, there are no further details in vCenter Tasks or Events

0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Then you might have to look into log - /usr/local/avamarclient/var-proxy*/<Backup Job ID>vmimage?.log

-Suresh
0 Kudos
btburnett3
Contributor
Contributor

Here are a couple of screenshots of some of the errors I see in that log file

0 Kudos
GSparks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The next time you get this error when a backup runs, can you note the time, then go to the Log Collector and collect the logs.

If you can submit the logs and the time in an SR then VMware support can look into what is occurring in this instance.

Thanks,

-Greg Sparks
0 Kudos
btburnett3
Contributor
Contributor

I'd love to be able to collect the error logs, but unfortunately the vdp-configure web portal also doesn't function.  I just get a connection refused error whenever I try to connect to it.  Any suggestions on fixing that?

0 Kudos
btburnett3
Contributor
Contributor

I take that back, it was a firewall issue.  I'll work on running another backup after the blackout window today.

0 Kudos
btburnett3
Contributor
Contributor

The log bundle is 200 MB, way to big to upload here.  Any suggestions on how to trim the file?  Is there a way to purge the logs before I run the backup?

Thanks,

Brant

0 Kudos
GSparks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The log file collector gathers all log files so the file is rather large.  The best thing to do would be to open an SR with support (Go to My VMWare, login and select Get Support)

-Greg Sparks
0 Kudos
GSparks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check your Datacenter name.  If you have any of these characters in your datacenter name:  "&","/","\", or "=" then remove them.

-Greg Sparks
0 Kudos
btburnett3
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, nothing but letters, not even a space.  Thanks, though.

0 Kudos
jviegas
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I had the same problem when I tryed to backup a linux server, I resolved it by deleting all the backups that already took place to that server and then forced a "Backup only out of date sources".

Best Regards,

Joao Viegas

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

What version of VDP you are running?

# Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos