VMware Cloud Community
Linck1659
Contributor
Contributor

Doubt - Backing up VMs

Hello everyone!

I am looking for backup solutions for my company.

Right now i'm using a small Synology NAS with 4TB - that we already have - to test the Active Backup for Business from them.

The problem is: I can only create tasks and backup VMs that are not running, and we have many VMs running that we cannot turn off.

Does anyone know if it's possible to backup VM while they are running? Sorry for the "newbie" question, i am new at this, i am looking for this solution as it's a must to have backups and we have none and they don't want to expend money with solutions like Nakivo, Veeam, etc...

Right now we have the vSphere 6.0 Enterprise PLUS Edition.

4 Hosts

4 Storages

200+ VMs* - Around 70 Active VMs

Obs: I've noted that i can only backup using Active Backup for Business if the Datastore which this VM use has no other VM running that use this same Datastore too.

So i get this error:

ABB_Error.jpg

Thank you very much for your attention,

Hugo Alves

13 Replies
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

Yes, you can backup a VM while it's running.

Take a look on how to configure here DiskStation Manager - Knowledge Base | Synology Inc.

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

Hello,

not sure if this is may an Restriction from "Active Backup".

if you say you could only backup online Vm's > that sounds strange.  i don't know a Vmware permission restricting this.  either snapshot is allowed or not. 

Could you check that the Active Backup is able to resolve all Hosts and vCenter.   as if there is something not reachable > getting also inaccessible Alerts.

Good to investigate some more detailed logs,.... as the gui not telling much.

Also may good to check how much concurrent tasks you have configured.  not sure if Active Backup have kinda internally Session limits.   As NFC for vCenter/Esxi have some limits. Vmware not restrict vms per Datastore to backup.  me not aware of and doing backup of lot's vms.

Also good to check if you're at latest Patch Level > just to exclude some Past Bugs.

as it's using vddk > may worth to check as well which version of it it's using.  as older vddk's have some bugs as well

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos
CERKYR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

You can follow 2 ways to backup a running VM.

1 + Make a clone using VMware vCenter (VCSA), and copy the new created files, with SHELL commands, as CP, (SHELL and SSH must be enabled),on a other place like your NAS (Synology).

In fact, I don't think, it's possible to copy the VMx and VMdk files, directly, without a clone.

2 + Use a Software, as VEEAM, to Backup or Replicate, the VM to a other place, as your NAS.urchase

It seems to be easy to do.
The VEEAM backup can be a separate Windows Server (maybe Linux ?), or a VM.

In the 2 cases, you must purchase licences (vcenter and/or veeam).

Regards,

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Just for information.... your Enterprise Plus also contains VMware VDP [1] (based on Avamar), so you own a VM Backup programm already. Now the bad news... with vSphere 6.5 the VDP goes EOA.

I never seen a VM Backupproduct which cant backup running VMs!!  All products trigger a VM Snapshot so that the ESXi release the vmdk lock and the Backup product can read/backup the VMKDs. Most (all) Products use the VMware VDAP APU to get access to the data.

Veeam Backup&Replication

Nakivo

Rubrik

Dell DataProtecion(Avamar/Netvault)

Veritas, ARCserve and countless others

[1] vSphere Data Protection & Recovery | VMware

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

I did configure Active Backup to work with free ESXi and backed up running VMs.

So you should check their documentation on how to configure exactly.

0 Kudos
serveradminist2
Contributor
Contributor

simply use veem bakup Recovery for backup of esxi along with vm. 

0 Kudos
CERKYR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

About VEEAM, be careful if, after add VEEAM JOBS (backup and replication), you add a vCenter; all your jobs dedicated on VM or ESXi will failed.
You will have to redeclare all teh VM and ESXi inside each job.

jatinjsk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are many licensed solution available for backup and Recovery. However looking at your vSphere License Version, You do have VDP  which you can use without paying anything additional. However you would require VDP appliance installed on vcenter to get this work done

0 Kudos
CERKYR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDP = vSphere Data Protection    ??

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No one should be recommending VDP at this point. The product is dead, EoL, and will not be supported for long. If you are going to implement some backup application, you need to choose something else.

0 Kudos
CERKYR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it possible to add the vmware links about "VDP" ?
What does it mean ?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

vSphere Data Protection

0 Kudos