VMware Cloud Community
Vince_Garcia
Contributor
Contributor

Disk consolidation fails with error Cannot complete the operation due to an incorrect request to the server.

Good Day Everyone

I have an ESX6.7 Host with VM on it that will not consolidate disks.  This VM was failing Veeam backups with the "Too many redo logs" error.  The VM is now showing Virtual machine disks consolidation is needed.

When I attempt to consolidate disks it fails with error "An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Too many levels of redo logs."

Snapshot manager shows no snapshots

I SSH into the host and there are 256 (at least) snapshot files named 000002.vmdk etc.

I tried to clone the disk and that fails with error "An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Too many levels of redo logs."

I tried to migrate the storage to another datastore thinking that should delete the snapshots but that fails with error "Cannot complete the operation due to an incorrect request to the server"

Any attempt Ive made to delete the files has run into one of these errors

Any assistance is greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Vince_Garcia
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to upload the file you have attached but was unable to rename files.  When I tired to rename PS-PHONE2.vmdk I got the error "Failed to rename 'PS-PHONE2.vmdk' : Failed to lock the file (16392)" and I was unable to start the VM.  I had the old file from before and copied back replacing the one you attached and was then able to power the VM back on but im still unable to create or delete snapshots.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

"Failed to rename 'PS-PHONE2.vmdk' : Failed to lock the file (16392)"

Please check whether your Veeam Backup server, or one of the Veeam proxies (if used) still have the VM's virtual disks, or one of its snapshots attached (hot-added) as an adittional virtual disk. If so, detach it from the backup server/proxy.

If that's not the case, please reboot your Veeam Backup servers to ensure that there are not still any processes running which may cause the file lock.

If you cannot find out what's causing the lock, here's Plan C:

• shut down the VM
  • replace "PS-PHONE2-000100.vmdk" with the one from the attached .zip archive
  • lookup the VM's currently used .vmdk name in the .vmx file (e.g.: grep vmdk *.vmx)
  • create a new clone by running: vmkfstools -i PS-PHONE2-000256.vmdk New-PS-PHONE2.vmdk
    (please replace PS-PHONE2-000256.vmdk, if it's not the currently used .vmdk in the .vmx file)
  • edit the VM's .vmx file, and replace the virtual disk name with "New-PS-PHONE2.vmdk" (you may either use the native vi editor, or. e.g. WinSCP to edit the file)
  • reload the VM (see steps 2 + 3 in https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1026043)

If that works, migrate the VM to another datastore if you have a liceanse which allows this. This will migrate all required files to the new datastore, and leave obsolete files in the old folder. This will make it easier to do a cleanup later.

André

0 Kudos