VMware Cloud Community
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DataRecovery 2.0, DPM and registration of VMs on hosts

Hi,

I have a cluster with 12 hosts and 20 vms on it. The cluster is used only for one-time jobs, therefore DPM is active and puts all-but-one hosts in standby when all vms are powered-off. So far so good.

The problem is as follows: when all-but-one hosts are put into stand-by, not all of the vms are being registered onto the remaining host! VMs are still registered in the vCenter, but if I look at the remaining host, some of the vms are "left in the air" Smiley Wink (see the picture below) For normal usage this is no problem beacuse when I power-on such a vm, it us unregistered from the previous host and registered on the powered-on host. However, Datarecovery has problems with such "left in the air" vms. When it tries to take a snapshot of such a vm it fails with error, claiming the vm can not be found.

Is this an bug in vmware esx, vmware vcenter or datarecovery appliance? Can it be solved?

DPM and registration of VMs on hosts.png

-- Kind regards, Marko. VCP5
0 Kudos
3 Replies
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

abirhasan, I haven't found any useful information for my problem in the given link ...

0 Kudos
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Just a quick update - I've talked to VMware support and this seems to be a lack of feature. VMware says DPM was made for "powered-on" VMs. That's why it is possible for some powered-off VM's to get "left in the air" after DPM actions and thus causing troubles for any backup solutions that are snapshot-based ... I've filed an feature request and hopefully VMware will get this fixed sometime...

0 Kudos