VMware Cloud Community
kchawk
Contributor
Contributor

Data Recovery with Data Domain

We currently use VI3 and backup to a Data Domain device using vRanger. This works great, however with the new builtin backup "Data Recovery" method in vSphere it may need to change.

Since data recovery de-dups during the backup we are not sure we should go to the data domain device.

I have read that the de-dup option in data recovery can't be disabled.

Anyone have any thoughts?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sending de-duplicated data to a device that de-duplicates isn't going to make much difference (in the amount of space required). its just going to change where the de-dup processing occurs (if the data domain device receives 1GB of data that it can't dedup anymore you are gonig to use 1GB data). That said, I would actually expect that the data domain device has a much better deduplication system anyhow based upon what I know of them.

The builtin backup solution isn't something I'd be using for Enterprise deployments, and if you have a data domain device, i expect you are not running an SMB shop, therefore I would continue to use 3rd party products.

The builtin backup is for smaller shops and being first release is going to have problems in larger sites.

kchawk
Contributor
Contributor

Thinks for the opinion. We are probably going to stick with vRanger and see how things go.

0 Kudos