VMware Cloud Community
rlaor
Contributor
Contributor

Data Recovery backup job fails with error -3902

Whenever I run the Data Recovery backup job it creats the VM snapshop and then immediately removes it and fails with the following errors:

6/2/2009 9:11:24 PM: Normal backup using Backup Job 1

6/2/2009 9:13:22 PM: Failed to create snapshot for VM1, error -3902 ( file access error)

6/2/2009 9:13:22 PM: Task incomplete

This happens for any VM.

Does anyone have an idea why it fails?

Thanks in advance,

Roy

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Jim_Nickel
Contributor
Contributor

Adjusting the \etc\hosts file did not fix this for me.

I have 1.3 TB of space available on the network share and the VM I am trying to backup is only 40 GB.

I haven't rebooted the VDR appliance, but I didn't think I would need to. I will try that and if it makes a difference, I will let you know.

In the meantime....does anyone have any other ideas why this -3902 file access error (during snapshot) would be failing? I can successfully create snapshots manually even with the Quiese Guest Filesystem checked.

Jim

Update:

I rebooted the appliance and now it all works....no idea why as I could resolve the hostnames of the vCenter and all the ESX hosts prior to the reboot. I could ping them via IP or name and it all worked.

However, I don't argue with success...so I am working now.

0 Kudos
horace_ng
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same -3902 error. And after I rebooted the VDR, it works fine. It is the third time that I need to reboot the VA. I don't know what is causing this since I don't have any configuration change.

0 Kudos
cincinnerdi
Contributor
Contributor

@Fobe and Jim Nickel

I'm a new poster here with the same problem. The "hosts" file fixed my problem as well, but I needed to restart the vDR appliance. When I did, all my backup jobs fired up.

Thx!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

what happens if you go over 500GB in your 1 TB dedup store?

0 Kudos
cincinnerdi
Contributor
Contributor

This is an automated response to email sent to scott.ledyard@nerdsonsite.com

I am out of town presently, but will be checking messages once each day.

In the event of an emergency, please contact my backup eNerd, Jeremy Laughlin at 859-380-8983 or jeremy.laughlin@nerdsonsite.com.

Or contact our dispatch (please mention your a client, if you are) at 1-877-696-3737.

Scott Ledyard

513-708-7682

0 Kudos
osolgar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I know that the isue is solved, but I found the KB article about it

KB Article: 1011597

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101159...

I test in my case and restart works!!

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Note that VDR 1.1 is now available. This releaseeliminates reoccurring error -3902 after vCenter Server connection has been restored, so we highly recommend customers upgrading to this release. See my post in the forum for more information about this release.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
glennpayne
Contributor
Contributor

mine was a dns issue added esx host to dns and mad sure DR could resolve and it then worked a treat!

0 Kudos
kdon
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this issue on my appliances, and rebooting the appliances do nothing. I have tried /etc/hosts and that does nothing either. Anything else to try. I have gone the route of calling support and that is useless as they have you wipe your deduplication store most often as they call it "corrupted"

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would create a new discussion thread for your issue with as much detail as you can. List versions, what you have tried etc. Feel free to refer to this thread.

Forum Upgrade Notice - We will be upgrading VMware Communities systems between 10-12 December 2010. During this time, the system will be placed in READ-ONLY mode.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Carlo1971
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much, it resolved my problem....

0 Kudos