VMware Cloud Community
kcucadmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Data Recovery and vCenter Server Linked Mode

Will VDR ever be supported in a Linked Mode Environment?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

We have had multiple customers ask for this functionality, though there are no firm commitments at this point.

black88mx6
Contributor
Contributor

Wanted to join in that I would also like to see this working. With 4 vCenter servers worldwide, linked mode is a requirement, but our branch locations could really use this.

0 Kudos
mammer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We've been doing this for a while without any apparent issues. Is there a particular reason that this isn't supported?

0 Kudos
black88mx6
Contributor
Contributor

The 1.1 manual of VDR states "Do not use Data Recovery with vCenter Servers running in linked mode".

If this only means that we need to vSphere Client login to each vCenter server and use the VDR that way, that would not be a big deal. If it means that it will cause failure of vCenter in linked mode, well that's a problem.

Mammer; can you give any more details of your enviornment?

0 Kudos
kcucadmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've been running a VDR appliance now for almost 2 months in a linked mode environment. however to manage it, you need to login to the vcenter server the vdr appliance is associated with.

i have had no issues with this.

0 Kudos
mammer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

-In my environment we have 3 clusters attached to 1 primary vcenter and 1 cluster attached to a seperate vcenter which is setup for vmware view.

-We have 1 vdr appliance in the primary vcenter and it works just fine. We never login to the view based vcenter directly.

0 Kudos