VMware Cloud Community
ScotttW
Contributor
Contributor

Data Recovery Feature - Only one backup per day?

Just watched the demo for the new Data Recovery feature. It didn't look like it allowed you to define how many backups/snapshots you could take each day...for example, hourly; or say every three hours during normal business hours.

Does the Data Recovery feature only allow one backup per day?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jguidroz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It looks like with the initial release of Data Recovery, it's one backup per day. From the discussions I've had, Data Recovery is geared for small businesses (I believe there is a host limit). BUT, third parties will be able to take advantage of the VCB API's to back up only changed blocks, and presumably allow you to schedule multiple backups in a day.

Seeing as we do image backups once a week, taking backups once a day will be a huge improvement.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As you say, it does indeed look like it's the case. I guess it's probably just a limitation of the scheduling part of the interface rather than a technical limitation - but until we get our hands on a GA version can't say for sure.

Alex

www.phdvirtual.com

0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

With VMware Data Recovery by default each backup job runs

once a day as the solution is meant as a disk to disk backup and recovery product for VMs where RPO is 24 hours. That said if you want to backup a VM more than once a day then you could simply add that VM to multiple backup jobs inside the scheduler.

I guess the important thing to remember is that this is not a CDP style backup / recovery solution.

hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Lee Dilworth

0 Kudos