VMware Cloud Community
robweber
Contributor
Contributor

Data Recovery Cannot Connect to vCenter

Hi,

I've searched the forums (which are normally excellent for helping with issues like this) and couldn't find a working solution so I thought I'd post for specific help on what I'm seeing.

Our company runs a vCenter server that has 2 NICS - one is attached to our local network and another that is used on a site to site VPN connection. We have a total of 5 ESXi hosts, 3 on our local network and 2 in a remote location via the site to site connection. We've never had any problems with communications over the WAN link between the ESXi hosts and the vCenter server.

We've used the Data Recovery appliance on our local network to backup servers for quite a while now and decided to add another DR appliance at the remote location for the VMs running there. The appliance installed and configured just fine, but when we went to connect and setup our backups jobs via the DR plug-in in vSphere we cannot connect to the DR VM. We get the username/password prompt for the vCenter connection but the appliance will not authenticate and attach to vCenter.

The DR appliance at the remote site is on the same IP subnet as vCenter, however I have noticed that when the user/pass prompt shows up it says that the address of vCenter is the local address instead of the 'remote' address. I understand it probably isn't a normal setup to have vCenter with 2 addresses but we've never seen an issue with it until now, all of our other process have run 100%. Is there a way to get the DR appliance into vSphere so we can setup the backup jobs? Any help would be appreciated, so far I've tried both Adding a static entry in the DR VM for vCenter with the correct IP and pinging the correct IPs from each machine to ensure connectivity.

Thanks in advance for any help,

-Rob

0 Kudos
1 Reply
robweber
Contributor
Contributor

Fixed it.

It occured to me that since vCenter was presenting the "wrong" IP addres to the VDR appliance that maybe it was because I was logging into the wrong IP. Normally I connect to vCenter through it's local network address, so instead I connected using the second IP address and the VDR appliance connected no problem. Now that the connection to vCenter has been established can log in my normal way and administer the device. Everything it working great now.

0 Kudos