VMware Cloud Community
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

Data Protection Advanced Sizing

Hi all,

I have a question which i have been unable to find an answer to in VMware documentation.

Whilst VMware documentation details the requirements for VDPA instance sizes and their disk requirements, it does not provide details or recomendations on the backend storage upon which the backup appliances VMDK must sit in terms of IOP requirements etc..

I am very familiar with Avamar Virtual Edition as this is used extensively within our client base. Would i be correct to assume that the VDPA appliance of say 0.5TB would match the requirements of the equivalent AVE 0.5TB appliance from a backend disk layout perspective?,

I am hesitant to make a guess as i understand the VDPA appliance is a newly architected solution yet based on Avamar technology.

Can anyone provide any additional information/guidelines?

Cheers

Carl

0 Kudos
6 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

You can deploy VDP on any storage supported by vSphere. However deploying VDP on CIFS/NFS is not supported/recommended due to performance issues.

Would i be correct to assume that the VDPA appliance of say 0.5TB would match the requirements of the equivalent AVE 0.5TB appliance from a backend disk layout perspective?

YES

-Suresh
0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

vSphere Data Protection solutions cannot natively use NFS

storage as a destination. However, vSphere Data Protection

solutions can write to a virtual disk that resides on any NFS

storage device listed in the VMware storage compatibility guide  -- snip from VDP FAQ (http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsphere/VMware-vSphere-Data-Protection-Product-FAQ.pdf)

-Suresh
0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

Thanks for the response, appreciated. Do you have any source material which validates the statement that AVE disk configurations would match the VDPA disk configuration?

The solution is running on 10GbE iSCSI

I note on page 16 of the Avamar Virtual Edition Install guide that RAID1 or RAID10 are recommended. I was rather hoping to stay with an existing RAID6 layout to ensure the overall SAN is consistent in its datastore architecture, whilst using SIOC to assist with contention scenario's

0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

snekkalapudi, i just noticed on your blog that the minimal performance recommendations are details during the VDPA install process. These metrics can help with ensuring the datastore is sized prior to VDPA deployment as part of a design process, as a lot of the time the storage sub-system may not be available to use when doing the logical design and sizing.

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
ramkrishna1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

I am agree its new product but always suggested to use one product for most of the application .

Now a days all vendor trying to provide all in one support .

Take care!

0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

not sure that makes any sense in context of the thread 😕

0 Kudos