VMware Cloud Community
mutschdnw
Contributor
Contributor

Consolidate Disks doesnt work

Hi,

i try to consolidate A VM with over 15TB Data because this is happen after Veeam Backup snapshots (pic attached). The Consolidation Stops at 8%, it runs for over 24 Hours, the Snapshotfiles are from 250GB to 6TB. Is this normal? 

The Problem: The Server can't start at this Status and i need much more space and i can't expand the Disks.

If i Stop the Consolidation i can start after a few trys the VM.

Do i have some more Options? In veeam i only backupped "C" on the NVMe RAID but it Also Snapshotted the Data Disks on the hdd raid.

thank you for all Help!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The {code} area of VMTN is for SDK matters, I've reported your thread to notify moderators it should be moved.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Snapshot sizes depend on the data written while the snapshot has been the active snapshot. Depending on the VM's write activity, and the snapshot's age, the snapshot files can grow up to the virtual disk's provisioned size (plus some metadata).

To find out what can be done it's necessary that you provide some details like the free disk space on the datastore, and a complete list of files in the VM's folder.

For the file listing, please run ls -lisa *.vmdk in the VM's folder, and post the output as text please (not as a screenshot). For the free disk space you may run df -h.

Do you have other datastores with free disk space (how much)?

André

0 Kudos
mutschdnw
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

thank you for Feedback. Now the Consolidate is on 70% after 4 Days, i will wait 2 days more. The Free Disk Space is not the Problem: VMDisk is 15TB, Free Space is 50TB. But i don't backup this VM, i only´backup the systemdsk with 250GB.

But i Think its a theme for the Veeam Support.

Thank you for your Help

0 Kudos