VMware Cloud Community
markvor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Connect to Data Recovery 1.1

Hi,

after installing and succesful configuration of VMWare Data Recovery i could not connect to the Appliance.

When i click on connect, i receive the prompt which is asking me for the password. I write it in and click ok.

30 seconds later i receive the Error: the connection was unexpectedly closed.

And that's it.

When i try this with a wrong password, the password dialog immediately comes again.

Thank you for any help or hints.

Markus

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ccostan
Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried using the IP address of the appliance? The name is case sensitive.

Check out VMwareinfo.com (vDR) for more details.

Hope this helps.

-Carlo

Carlo Costanzo | http://www.VMwareInfo.com | @ccostan
markvor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Carlo,

i checked all settings with no succes.

Tried to delete the Data Recovery Machine and reinstall it.

Any other help ?

Markus

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Does your password contain non-ASCII characters?

markvor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Azmir,

no unfortunately not. The password got only numbers and normal characters.

I also searched the log files on the appliance and the vcenter with no information for an error.

Any other Ideas.

0 Kudos
markvor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found a way to connect to the appliance.

I got the following configuration:

The Service Console Network got the IP Range: 10.5.0.0 Mask 255.255.0.0

The VM Production Network got the IP Range: 10.10.0.0 Mask 255.255.0.0

Both Networks got their own physical Switches and could only speak over the vCenter Server (got two Nics, one with 10.5 and one with 10.10.) an the DNS Servers (also got two Nics 0.5 and one with 10.10.)

When i give the appliance a Network Address from the 10.10 Network the VCenter could not connect to the appliance, but when the appliance got an IP address from the 10.5. Network i can connect to the appliance.

The error in the vCenter Log is: Invalid guest IP address for VM VMware Data Recovery: fe80::250:56ff:fe9c:3c9d

But i can ping both IP's from the appliance to the vCenter and from the vCenter to the appliance.

What is know the right configuration ?

Thanks for any advices.

Markus

0 Kudos
sebastienL
Contributor
Contributor

Seems to be the same error as me. here are my topology:

10.250.100.0/24 -> Vlan for service console only

10.250.40.0/24 -> Vlan for virtual machine

10.250.41.0/24 -> Vlan for vkernel & SAN ISCSI

10.250.40.96 -> Data recovery server

10.250.100.35 -> Vsphere server, windows 2008

10.250.100.12-24 -> computer that can be used to manage the vcenter

Each network are on seperate vlan that are limited on how they can interact each other with firewall between them. i've opend the 10.250.100.0/24 to go trought the firewall directly to the data recovery server with the port 22024.

I've deleted everything on the client, reinstalled the vsphere client, reinstalled the plugin, reinstalled the data recovery server... Ho and both windows 7 and windows XP have been tried with the same result.

...Nothing, all i got is the same message, after I got the box asking for the password and type it correctly:

"error: the connection was unexpectedly closed"

Please make sure the data recovery appliance is power on. If the problem persists, please restart the data recovery server.

A thing that i've made a countless time, with no result. also we check the traffic on the firewall. the client computer and the VDR seems to talk to each other a bit after the passwords is entered but only for a couple of second. After this both does not seems to say anything to each other then we got the error message.

The next thing left to make is to reinstalled the vsphere server and the host, but its something that i cannot afford, the environment that i work on is live and cannot be permitted to be turned off.

Whats next ??

Sébastien

0 Kudos
rodataqq
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem.

when i conected to the vcenter server i now use the ip address that is in the same subnet as the VMware Data Recovery vm.

eg vcenter server has ip 10.1.1.10 and 192.168.99.10 and the data recover vm is 10.1.1.8. manualy enter 10.1.1.10 in the login details for vsphere client.

hope that is enough detail. let me know if this works for you guys.

0 Kudos
foodandbikes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having the same problem.

I think VMware needs to QA this product.

I have three accounts all in a group, and the group is assigned Administrator rights to the entire vCenter tree. Only one account works, and that is the one explicitly assigned Virtual Machine Poweruser(sample) rights at a sub folder. Assigning that right seems to override the Administrator rights set at the top of the tree.

As a test I've explicitly added that right to my user account and I can access the VDR now, but now my account is no longer able to do other admin things. I then removed the explicitly assigned right, and now I can no longer access the VDR. HELLO!!!! I have admin rights, I should be able to do everything.

However, my account can connect to another VDR in vCenter, where I do not have the Virtual Machine Poweruser(sample) right assigned.

This is not a network or config error.

It's got to be a bug.

0 Kudos
Freeman886
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same experience about this, and finally I found one solution for this.

I tried to add A record and PTR record for my VDR VA, and type the FQDN of VDR instead of IP Address.

Suddenly, it works!

0 Kudos