VMware Cloud Community
roity57
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Commvault 9 VSA and vStorage API & VCB

I've been pilot testing Commvault 9 VSA with both VCB and vStorage API method and have enounctered 2 issues.         

I've found an issue where if you try to backup a VM via vStorage that has virtual disks across multiple datastores the backup will not run resutling with an error:  "MACHINE skipped Error with Virtual Machine change tracking. It may be necessary to power cycle the vm, or contact VMware support regarding the QueryChangedDiskAreas API. "

We have not had a chance to enable CBT for any VMs since we upgraded to CV9 and enabling CBT requires an outage.  We have been able to backup VMs with Full and Incremental WITHOUT CBT but this only works on VMs that are contained on one datastore.  Has anyone else noticed this issue with Commvault and been able to fix?  I don't know if enabling CBT will actually fix it or now but there's probably atleast one VM I can do this on but using CBT would be something new here so I would have to tread with extreme caution!

VCB seems to spool it's files to C:\Program Files\Commvault\Galaxy\iDataAgent\JobResults\iDataAgent\VirtualServerAgent\..... which of course results in running out of space and the job failing.  I will take this up with the consultant that helped us but thought this might be useful for others to know.

Cheers,

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Reply
roity57
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've found the resolve to the VCB spool area issue, need to alter the Job Configuration Job Results directory on the Media Agent.

0 Kudos