VMware Cloud Community
iscsitarget
Contributor
Contributor

Changed blocks

We're using veeam as a backup / replication product on a esxi 5.5 host, I don't think this is a veeam issue but related to CBT

I'm struggeling with the amount of changed blocks within a replication job. Simply put I’ve got to many servers replicating over a narrow WAN link. I’m trying to keep the changes to certain servers as low as possible.

I’m testing with a small (disk: 33gb) Windows 2003 server with hardly any activity. (searching the local disk for changed files in the last week resulted into a hand full of changes) Transferred data (not the actual read) from the last week,

before making changes:

10-4: 3.9gb

14-4: 1.6gb

15-4: 3.0gb

16-4: 2.6gb

I’ve changed a few things on the 17th:

- added HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate 1

- Ran sdelete

- Ran disk clean up

- disabled shadow copies

- disabled all scheduled tasks scripts

- defrag

- vietool c: --generate (we are running symantec endpoint protection 12)

- reboot

The next replica was: 17-4 7.4gb (expected since quite a few blocks have been changed due to the defrag)

18-4: 3,4gb

19-4: 2,8gb

The above changes made no big differences. Are there more things which I can do to reduce the amount of changed blocks?

Is there a tool which shows me whichs blocks  which files are linked to those blocks are changed so I can narrow my search?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
0 Replies