VMware Cloud Community
ar1es
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't connect to VDR

Hello guys,

I installed the plug-in and successfully imported the VM data recovery appliance. The problem I'm having is that when I try to connect to the data recovery vm, I get the following error: "Vmware Data Recovery could not find a matching virtual machine."

I tried using the IP for the vsphere client and vdr machine with no success.

Thanks,

-rp

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TedCrilly
Contributor
Contributor

Can you ping the VDR from the vsphere server? Sometimes the VDR gets installed on the wrong nic/vswitch.

0 Kudos
wkloss
Contributor
Contributor

Did you edit the notes of the machine? It shall only be "VMware Data Recovery Module" or else vmware doesn't identify it as VDR appliance.

0 Kudos
ar1es
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have not edited the notes and yes I have mutual connectivity in place from the vm and vcenter server. It looks as though the VDR appliance may not be supported if your ESX host is 3.5.

-rp

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

That is correct. From the VDR FAQ: http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vmware-data-recovery-fq-en.pdf

VMware Data Recovery is a new backup and recovery product for VMware vSphere 4 environments that provides quick, easy, and complete data protection for virtual machines.

Can I protect virtual machines resident on VMware ESX 3.5 or earlier hosts?

No, VMware Data Recovery is not backward compatible with ESX 3.5 or earlier hosts. This also means that when a vCenter Server 4 is managing both ESX 4 and ESX3.5 hosts, VMware Data Recovery can only protect virtual machines that are resident on ESX 4 hosts.

0 Kudos