VMware Cloud Community
Seventh77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't connect to VDR Appliance from vSphere

Hello,

I'm having a heck of a time getting VDR working on one of my clusters and have been searching these forums trying just about everything I can think of. Hopefully someone can shed some light on things for me.

I'm running vCenter 5 with an Enterprise Plus license, with VDR 2.0.1, connecting with vSphere 5.0.0. My hosts are ESXi 5.0.

The error I get in vSphere is "The Data Recovery Service did not start up. If the problem persists, pleaes restart or redeploy the Data Recovery Appliance".

Here are some details:

- I have restarted it several times

- Redeployed it about a dozen times

- Tried both version 2.0.0 and 2.0.1 of the appliance itself.

- I logged into the VDR appliance and can verify that the service is definitely started.

- DNS is working correctly between my vCenter, VDR and vSphere client (both ways)

- VDR has a a static IP and I can ping back and forth between vCenter/VDR/vSphere with no problems

- I tried running vSphere with the VDR Plug-in on my actual vCenter machine, no change

- Ensured that the plug-in is the latest, correct version (reinstalled it and installed it on a fresh client, just in case)

I'm looking at the logs, and I do see this:

"Rejecting non-SSL connection from client (my vSphere IP)"

I found a VMware KB article that says this error is caused by an outdated plug-in version, but I've already covered that step and both my VDR appliance and my Plug-In are from the same installation media.

I'm at a loss at to what I can try next - any insight would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wealvescabral
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,
You already try to remove/add again the VDR plugin on the machine which you running vSphere Client ?
Wellington Cabral | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
Seventh77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes - I reinstalled the plug-in, and even stood up vSphere on a completely fresh client and did a full vSphere/plug-in installation there. No change - I have 3 different systems now (my usual vSphere console, vCenter itself, and the fresh install) and I get the same error message in all three of them.

0 Kudos
Seventh77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also worth noting, if I run a 'netstat -antp' on my VDR appliance, I see a lot of connections from my vCenter IP, with the status FIN_WAIT2.

Edit: I've also tried migrating the VDR appliance so that it's on the same physical host as my vCenter, no change.

0 Kudos