VMware Cloud Community
ytlevine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't connect to VDP behind NAT with local IP

I recently set up a backup server behind a NAT, in addition to my main server, which is connected directly to the internet.

I have a (trial) vCenter server/VM on that main server, where I'm running everything from - that VM has its own public IP address.

I was able to connect the backup server to the vCenter server, once I opened the necessary ports on my router and forwarded them to the backup server.

I set up a (trial) VDP application on the backup server, and gave it a local IP address (192.168.1.x), which worked, and it now shows up in the vCenter server.

The FQDN that I used for the VDP application resolves to the external IP of that network (I set the router to return a reverse DNS lookup), and I opened up the necessary ports for VDP on the router as well, and set them to forward to the VDP VM.

The problem is that the VDP application shows up in the list of vSphere Data Protection appliances, but when I try to connect to it from vCenter, I get this error:

Unable to connect to the requested VDP Appliance. 

Would you like to be directed to the VDP Configuration utility to troubleshoot the issue?

I assume that this is because vCenter is looking for that local IP (192.168.1.x), and not find it on its network.

Is there any way to force vCenter to look for the appliance using it's FQDN, or somehow enter the external IP and have it connect using that (which will work, since the necessary ports are forwarded)?

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ytlevine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone?

0 Kudos