VMware Cloud Community
daniellynn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't connect to Data Recovery Appliance

I keep running into this one error trying to set up Data Recovery. I have it installed and the appliance imported. I go into the Solutions and Applications section and the VMware Data Recovery screen. I put in the IP of the appliance and click connect. It asks me for the password for the vSphere server and while that prompt is up, it shows an "Authentication failed" error. Once I enter that password, every time I click connect for the rest of my vSphere session, I'll get this error:

Error: Could not log onto the server. The connect attempt timed out. Please make sure that the Data Recovery Appliance is turned on

It is, of course turned on and I can go to the web interface, log in and click around fine. Not sure what I could be missing. Is there a specific port it's trying to connect on that I could test out? I'm at a loss as to why it would break at this point.

-Daniel

0 Kudos
97 Replies
Firebird74
Contributor
Contributor

We have the same problem and the same buffer overflow error follwoing by a core dump, but we have one VM with 48 IP Adresses which we cannot remove or shrink down, so we have to wait for a newer release of the Appliance.

0 Kudos
wobushiyigeren
Contributor
Contributor

We have the problem which say " the operation is not allowed on non-connected sockets", that I cannot connect to DR Vcenter. We set up about 40 IPs on one guest of the host.

So is there any solution now?

0 Kudos
lwarner
Contributor
Contributor

I spoke with tech support, and it's a confirmed issue. Any guest with over 16 IPs total (not per vNIC either, so no workaround) will cause this. He said that it will be fixed in the next release, but he did not know the release date.

0 Kudos
uma_kits
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

i have found something, have got the same problem has every one here with the connection to vdr and i solved it like that ...

i found in the datarecovery log that the SSL certficates was not verified, so what i have done is go to vCenter server settings .... SSL settings, i have check ''vCenter requires verified host SSL certificates'' ... after that i put 1 server at the time in Maintenance mode and i remove it from vCenter, i reboot the host and i rejoin the host to vCenter, when i rejoin the host he ask me that vCenter don't recognise the SSL certificate and if i trust it and i clic ''yes'', i have done this for all my host in my cluster and guest what ... i can log to VDR by vCenter and my backup are working fine.

Sorry for my english, i hope this is clear for all of you.

Thx

Gabriel

My environment is Windows Server Standard 2008 x64 SP2. I found the same problem but I clear SSL certificate on VC Setting and check it again. It works for me. Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
alainrussell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Did you get this problem fixed ? I'm getting the exact same connection errors trying to connect to the appliance. I have new version 1.02 and cannot see why it's not working. My environment uses FQDN, have tried with these and IP address, from VCenter server running client, and from an external W2003 server running client .. each time the same error message.

10/23/2009 12:05:56 p.m. > Connecting: Retrieved valid NFC ticket

10/23/2009 12:05:56 p.m. > Connecting: Attempting to connect to: 210.48.88.87

10/23/2009 12:05:56 p.m. > Connecting: Attempting to open the connection...

10/23/2009 12:05:56 p.m. > Connection attempt failed

I have tried with the firewall disabled, so this is not the problem.

The Vcenter server has 1 IP address only.

I've set the logging to level7, but in the console all I see is as attached.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Alain

0 Kudos
CrazyTao
Contributor
Contributor

I can't connect the VDR from my vista client

Yesterday,I uninstalled the vCenter and VDR ,clear the Registry and vCenter installed dir,reinstalled the vCenter and VDR

Now,It's works fine,just puzzling......

0 Kudos
massmans
Contributor
Contributor

I followed these instructions and found the offending machine. It is a FreeBSD jail server with close to 50 ip addresses. This machine is a production vm and cant be removed.

Any idea on when this buffer issue will be fixed and please make sure it can handle a vm with more then 50 ip addresses.

thanks

Steve

If you point the web browser to:

It will prompt to vCenter credentials. Once they enter the vCenter
credentials, it will show them the guest information for the VM that is
potentially causing VDR to crash. This is caused if the VM has too many
IP addresses or too many DNS names to cause the 256 byte buffer in VDR
to overflow. You can identify the VM by looking at the information for
the VM at .
This will be fixed in the future release of VDR but in the mean time,
the only workaround is to reduce the number of IP addresses or DNS
names for the VM so that it does not overflow the 256 byte buffer in
VDR.

0 Kudos
billz0r
Contributor
Contributor

I'm just curious why you guys need so many IP's for 1 machine? The most IP's I've ever needed is 6 on a single server (back in the phyisical days).

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hm.. I also been waiting for them to fix this bug as well, hopefully if any of you guys got a word from VMWare, please share it here.

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
vkelly
Contributor
Contributor

confirmed new release of VDR ver 1.1 fixes authentucation issue when you have a guest VM's with more than 16 IP Addresses

0 Kudos
vmitos
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot EPL for posting this !!! After 4 days of trying to figure out what the problem was ... And I found your note !

Thanks !

0 Kudos
XRSC
Contributor
Contributor

Regarding "Error: Could not log onto the server. The connect attempt timed out. Please make sure that the Data Recovery Appliance is turned on"

I found another factor which has not already been mentioned.

After trying the various suggestions in previous posts I still had the problem.

Then on the VCenter Server I checked the windows services (Start -> Administrative Tools -> Services) to check all the automatic services were running.

I found the "Computer Browser" service was not running for some reason. When I started this service the problem went away.

Bruce

0 Kudos
Raducanu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also can't connect to my vdr appliance. See error log attached.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
JeremyG
Contributor
Contributor

I've been having the same issue, replicated in the restore client where the logs showed:

05/12/2010 10:27:49 AM > Exception: "No such host is known"

> at System.Net.Dns.GetAddrInfo(String name)

> at System.Net.Dns.InternalGetHostByAddress(IPAddress address, Boolean includeIPv6, Boolean throwOnFailure)

> at System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry(String hostNameOrAddress)

> at Console_DAGClient.RetroCon.Open(String address, String owner, EncryptedString password)

> at Console_DAGClient.RetroConMgr.OpenConnection(String address, String owner, String password)

I was running the restore client on a Server 2008 instance along with vSphere Center which also wouldn;t connect using DNS dame, IP or localhost - a ping to these addresses returned IP6 information and we're not running any sort of name resolution in IP6.

I turned off IP6 on the network port and could then connect - haven't time to do various test cases, but a lot of the issues in the Communities seem to relate to server 2008 vs 2003 and IP6 is enabled by default in server 2008...

0 Kudos
Shukshin
Contributor
Contributor

MS Windows Server 2003 R2 x64

VMware vCenter Server 4.1.0

VMware Data Recovery 1.2.0.1131

Im trying Connect VDR appliance. It asked me password. I entered the password, but it's asking me password again.

DataRecoveryClient_0.log:

Connecting: Attempting to open connection...

Connecting: Could not open the connection

Connection attempt faild

I logged in as "Administrator" to vCenter.

Vcenter have two Networks: "network1" and "isolaton".

VMware Data Recovery have "isolation" only.

There are not firewalls or NATing involved here.

Sorry for my English.

0 Kudos
frhell
Contributor
Contributor

I have same problem with:

MS Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

VMware vCenter Server 4.1.0

VMware Data Recovery 1.2.0.1131

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Create a new discussion and outline your issue in as much detail as you can. Include how you have it set up and any things you have tried to resolve the issue.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Nho
Contributor
Contributor

Yep !

That works fine !

Thanks EPL !

Best,

0 Kudos