VMware Cloud Community
paultwo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can VDR be backed up to a datastore

Can VDR be backed up to a datastore or just to a network share?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How can you backup to datastore?

Well you have to create a NEW datastore or you can add a drive to the VDR appliance, and put that *.vmdk on a datastore, thus you are using a datastore to hold the backup data. I wouldn't advise sharing backup with your VM storage, for disaster recovery reasons.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can VDR be backed up to a datastore or just to a network share?

Yes either one. I find it eaiser to use a datastore, because you can attach it directly to the appliance at boot, rather than later via configuration. That to me is a little easier to manage.

Everyone has different requirements, and the datastore is an option.

0 Kudos
paultwo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

there's a great admin guide to be found here: http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vdr_pubs.html

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging: http://www.yellow-bricks.com

Twitter: (*NEW*)

New book in town: vSphere Quick Start Guide ()

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well you have to create a NEW datastore or you can add a drive to the VDR appliance, and put that *.vmdk on a datastore, thus you are using a datastore to hold the backup data. I wouldn't advise sharing backup with your VM storage, for disaster recovery reasons.

0 Kudos
paultwo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What I did was move my VDR appliance to a different SAN and add another hard disk to that VM (so it sees it as being local) and I backup with VDR to the local drive on the appliance. I stored my second disk that I added to the VDR appliance in a different folder on the secondary SAN to make it easier to replace the VDR appliance later when it's time to upgrade to a new version.

So now, if my production SAN goes down I still have my VDR appliance with all my backups on the other SAN.

And when it comes time to upgrade to a new version of VDR appliance I can unmount the local drive (that is used for backups) delete the appliance, import the new appliance, give it an IP and point it back to the hard disk that has all my backups.

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

ok, does this means that the VDR needs o be backup as well outside the local ESXi datastore ?

maybeyou're right, once the VDR got corrupted ornot working, then the backed up VM cannot be restored ?

cmiiw

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos