VMware Cloud Community
faster4233
Contributor
Contributor

CA ArcServe: Unable to map the VM volume to a VM disk image file

Hi,

Although this isn't strictly a VMware issue i was wondering if anyone could help me out.

My VMware RAW backup using CA Arcserve 12.5 has started to fail with error:

AW0551 2010-02-15 12:13:03 Unable to map the VM volume to a VM disk image file. (VM Volume=[C:\])

and

AW0004 2010-02-15 12:13:04 . RC=110, The system cannot open the device or file specified.

Has anyone seen this before? The help file points to permissions for the second error and missing files for the first neither seem to be an issue. It doesn't make a difference which Host the servers are on. I have tried using domain Admin credentials. I dont believe anything has changed on either the ESXi host or the Proxy\VMware Vcenter server.

any idea?

thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lcampalvazqu
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

Same issue here but this time with r15.

VDDK log reports found LVM V3 partition in the SAN, but when it tries to open the snapshot fails. Arcserve reports the AW0004 and RC=110.

Has anyone manage to resolve the issue? any clue?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
lcampalvazqu
Contributor
Contributor

At least solved for us!!!

NEVER put an "@" in the datastore name, even when VCenter allows you, it will brake VDDK and probably Converter (will be tested tomorrow).

0 Kudos
seamus19
Contributor
Contributor

I am wondering if anyone found a soluton for this issue.  I am experiencing the same issue with CA Arcserve version 15. I thought It may have been because the drives were partitioned but this is not the case.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Noras
Contributor
Contributor

We too are having trouble with these errors - since upgrading to arcserve 16.5 we are constantly getting aw0004 rc 110 and aw0551 errors as described by faster4233 on VM backups. Arcserve 15 worked fine and no changes on VM setup, no odd characters in the datastore names. Does anyone have any more info? thank you.

0 Kudos
segdell
Contributor
Contributor

Just got off the line with an ARCserve technical rep and he said that we need to upgrade to ESX 5.  They have been experiencing problems between ESX 4 versions and ARCserve 16.5.  So, I'm downgrading to ARCserve 16.0 and will request that we upgrade to ESX 5 sometime in the near future.

0 Kudos