VMware Cloud Community
Nitrousman
Contributor
Contributor

Best way to make copies of VM environment for new test environment?

Hi,

I need to make copies of my current live VM environment running VSphere 4.1 so I can setup a test environment for some new applications we will eventually deploy to our production environment. I have a NAS that I could copy the VM's to but I need to keep my production environment running while I copy the VM's unless it's not possible then I'll need to schedule time after hours. Is this something that I could use our VDR for or is there a better option? I have new physical servers to setup the test environment on. Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
raj196
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI

Creating a new virtual  machine instead of copying the original virtual machine configuration  file has advantages. By creating a new virtual machine, you do not have  to create folders, upgrade the virtual machine hardware, or register a  virtual machine.

for more please folow the link-http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100093...

0 Kudos
Nitrousman
Contributor
Contributor

This option looks like I need to power off the VM is that correct? Would I be able to use the backups from the VDR and restore them to a network share and then from there I could copy them to the test VSphere server? The data doesn't need to be super current so the data backed up on the VDR a few days ago is current enough. Thanks.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

To clone the exosting the current machines you will need to power them off -

You could restore from backup but pay attention to the networking because the restored machine will have the same hostname and address as the production machne -

The othe roption is use VMware Converter and create a copy of the running machine using converter -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Nitrousman
Contributor
Contributor

So if I did the restore from the VDR to my shared NAS I could then connect that NAS to my other test environment and bring them up on the new VSphere server? I know during the restore it gives you the option to rename the server that's being restored and I think you also have the option to have it not power on after the restore so I wouldn't need to worry about having the same servers on the same VSphere server. These VSphere servers are in 2 different physical locations (20 miles apart) so I wouldn't need to worry about having them running with the same name. Using the Convertor will also allow me to send the VM to my shared NAS also correct? Thanks.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes you are correct - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Nitrousman
Contributor
Contributor

I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Nitrousman
Contributor
Contributor

During the restore process I've selected the new network share that I created as the destination path but what about the virtual node? Does it need to be changed since I'm going to physically take this new datastore to another location once I've restored my images to it? Will it cause any problems for the original VM that is currently up and running? I've selected to not power on the VM and keep the NIC disconnected. Thanks.

0 Kudos