VMware Cloud Community
jhoge
Contributor
Contributor

Best backup software

Hi,

What's the best backup software to use with a small install of vSphere? I'm planning one host to start with 7-8 VMs. Maybe I'll add another host later. I've downloaded CA Arcserve and found it to be hugely complicated.

Right now I'm using NTBackup to backup VMWare Server 2.0, and I like it quite a bit. It's simple and reliable. Arcserve is anything but simple.

If I buy vSphere essentials for $800 I need to buy backup software in addition. Anybody have any favorites?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If you are asking for favorites, it's vRanger in my case.

However, I my opinion Quest's (formerly Vizioncore) vRanger and Veeam Backup are the leaders in backing up virtual machines. Depending on the software you are running on the guests, you may also need to look at an agent based backup for e.g. databases...

André

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

In my own experience, I like vRanger Pro far, far, far, so very far, better than the veeam product... I've had ok experiences with the Acronis B&R 10 software (current release)... I've also had good results with the vDR product... It all depends on what you're looking to backup/do...

I would advise that you use full SQL for the database if you get/install vCenter... Especially if you opt for either the vRanger Pro or vDR products (not even going to touch veeam... I just threw up a little in my mouth just thinking about it)...

You also need to plan where you're going to place these backups, how long you plan to keep each one, how many differentials you plan on having/keeping before a new (full) backup is created, etc... Personally, I would opt to have your VM's on a SAN (even if it's a sub $3k chassis with SAS drives in it) and another SAN for the backups to go to. You could use cheaper SATA spindles in the backup SAN, making sure you have enough space to contain what you need...

I really WOULD opt to get a license for vCenter Server... Especially since you're already planning on adding another host server. Better to get it now, with everything integrated from the start, then have to rebuild your backup scheme later when you do go that route. You gain a LOT of administration capabilities with vCenter in the mix, even with just one, or even two hosts...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Personally I've found the new Veeam 4.x to be really reliable and easy to use.

The 3 common market leaders so far in this area are really Vizioncore, Veeam and PHd (esXpress)

I would encourage you to download each one and try them out to see what you think of them...price wise...all about the same give or take...

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

See also

IMHO, Veeam and Vizioncore are good and simple enoght.

But if you already know some kind of backup program, or if you plan to do a backup to tape, consider traditional backup with the VMware Agent (in this case, IMHO, Backup Exec 2010 could be a good solution).

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
jeremyb
Contributor
Contributor

vBackup (www.vbackup.com) is another good option here. vBackup's Standard Edition is free and should provide all of the functionality needed in small environments.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
edk
Contributor
Contributor

I see that PHD (esXpress) was mentioned earlier on in this thread. The esXpress product was limited to ESX.

They have now released a new version; PHD Virtual Backup which brings ESXi functionality to the table. They have free trials available here: http://www.phdvirtual.com/phd-vb-51-vmware-vsphere

Cheers

- Ed K | PHD Virtual Support
0 Kudos
VirtualizingPat
Contributor
Contributor

I second this post. PHD VB is the best backup software out there for VMware and Citrix Xen. If you want to get it done and get it done right go with PHD. All the times I have my lost storage PHD has saved my environment. I once restored 20+ VMs in under 12 hours.

Cheers,
Pat D

0 Kudos