VMware Cloud Community
iskudacz
Contributor
Contributor

Backup single machine with two VDRs

Hi all,

is it possible to backup one VM with two instances of VDR at approximately same time (same backup window)?

Thanks for answering.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

OK, I MUST ask.. why do you need this?!?

You are backing it up with a VDR, why 2 at the same time?

I suppose it is possible, why not try it, and break it.. I mean see for yourself.

0 Kudos
iskudacz
Contributor
Contributor

We need this, because we need to backup to two different backup destinations. Is there a better solution to do this?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

My question is around 2 separate VDR simultaneous.. doesn't make sense.  Backup once, then backup again.. with the SAME VDR, you can have 2 different targets in the SAME VDR, wouldn't that make more sense?

0 Kudos
iskudacz
Contributor
Contributor

There is no time to backup ones and than again. I need to run backups simultaneously to both destinations.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

iskudacz wrote:

There is no time to backup ones and than again. I need to run backups simultaneously to both destinations.

OK, lets invoke a little common sense, shall we?  2 files backuped up by different servers at the SAME time .. will cut the time in half for each backup process.  So running concurrently or simultaneous woudl take the same amount of time, given how you want to do it.

I don't understand what you mean by "no time".  VDR can backup WHILE a VM is online, no impact to the VM at all.. so you have basically 24 hours to do backups.. you don't need a backup window.

0 Kudos
BrandC
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have to agree with  RParker. Even if you do one backup into VDR and copy it to different localtion, your VM is online to whole time and copying from the VDI should not inpak you at any time.

C

0 Kudos