Backup & Recovery

View Only
  • 1.  Backup application server that also runs SQL database?

Posted Jul 21, 2010 05:18 PM

I have a windows server 2003 server that runs an application that works with MS SQL 2005 which is installed on the same server. The server is configured with 2 parttions a system volume which also has MSSQL and the app installed on it. The second parttion houses all of the database files (including the MSSQl system databases) and is located on an Equallogic SAN. I currentley backup the database files via san snapshots. Can I also backup the ssytem parttion with VMware Data Recovery? I am worred that the snapshot of the system drive might cause issues with MSSQL even with the files sitting on another volume. Any ideas? Thanks

• 2.  RE: Backup application server that also runs SQL database?

Posted Jul 28, 2010 02:18 PM

I'm using VDR to backup several VM's with MSSQL. No problems here.

• 3.  RE: Backup application server that also runs SQL database?

Posted Jul 28, 2010 04:19 PM

vDR was backup the image .vmdk of the snapshot for the VM, however it's was not best practice to backup your SQL database by using vDR it's needed a third-party software to backup the SQL DB.

Can I also backup the ssytem parttion with VMware Data Recovery? I am worred that the snapshot of the system drive might cause issues with MSSQL even with the files sitting on another volume. Any ideas? Thanks

Yes, you can backup the system partition with vDR with condition that you need to enable the VSS supported from the VM also the vDR include the VMware Tools (VSS support driver).

Correct me if i'm wrong :smileyhappy:

• 4.  RE: Backup application server that also runs SQL database?

Posted Jul 28, 2010 05:31 PM

KamilAzmer is right you should also backup the databases using db backup software. In my case I just setup maintenance jobs which backup the databases to the local machine. These files are then backed up via VDR.