VMware Cloud Community
jrphdba
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Backup VM

Hi All,

We're using vSphere 6.5, and VMware Workstation 15 to managed the VMs.

Could I use VMware Workstation to backup our VMs by exporting to OVF file? Any recommendation?

Thank you..

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the community

First of all you should be aware exporting the OVA/OVF is not a backup generation operation ... You can use many tools like NAVIKO and VEEAM Backup & Replication. (Both of them have free edition)

However, if you are going to generate some templates from your current virtual machines temporary, yes you can consider these OVA/OVF as a backup file version!

Whenever you deploy some operational VMs, you should create a primary backup plan first, and then choose a good solution for the VM backup (google it and simply compare them based on capabilities and also licensing price based on your VI requirements)

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem

View solution in original post

3 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the community

First of all you should be aware exporting the OVA/OVF is not a backup generation operation ... You can use many tools like NAVIKO and VEEAM Backup & Replication. (Both of them have free edition)

However, if you are going to generate some templates from your current virtual machines temporary, yes you can consider these OVA/OVF as a backup file version!

Whenever you deploy some operational VMs, you should create a primary backup plan first, and then choose a good solution for the VM backup (google it and simply compare them based on capabilities and also licensing price based on your VI requirements)

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

exporting the virtual machine every time you need to make a backup seems excessive to me.

There are free solutions that do the backup:

Free Backup Solution - Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
jrphdba
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

AlessandroRomeo68​ and Amin Masoudifard,

Thank you for your response and suggestions. I'll take a look on both.

0 Kudos