VMware Cloud Community
PatriceC
Contributor
Contributor

Backup Solution

Hi guys,

I've recently tested veeam V5 as a demo. Works perfectly.

My only concern is that i'm not sure that would invest in that solution. I've used veeam to create fulll copy's of the VM and then stored them on an external drive. To backup windows system state and data, we currently use backup exec 12.5. Since a small portion of the IT environement is on esx servers, i'm not convinced i really  need to add a   new solution.

My question is: if the VM's files are stored on a safe drive and i make regular backups of windows data, if the VM crashes, i simply need to restart the copy of the VM and then restore windows data with ntbackup or backup exec?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SkandAcronis
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, virtualcowboy!

There are two different things which you may want to consider:  first is backing up data – so in a case of disaster you don’t lose the data. However in this case you may need to rebuild the machine: reinstall the OS, configuration and applications, which may result in a pretty long downtime. F.e. - imagine that the VM does not boot…

That is where imaging and VM backup solutions such as Veeam and Acronis vmProtect come into play. Another advantage is that you don’t need to install and agent inside every virtual machine.

Symantec Backup Exec also has an option for agent-less VM backup, and it uses the same API as Veeam and Acronis – vSphere API for Data Protection (VADP). So if already have Symantec and would like to stick with one solution – you may want to look at Backup Exec Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructures option.

Thank you.

// Sergey Kandaurov Senior Product Manager @ Acronis http://www.acronis.com/
0 Kudos
AndreasNeufertV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Virtualcowboy,

in case you use Veeam Backup & Replication Enterprise Edition, you do not need an other backup tool.

Veeam can backup the operating system an applications in a consistent state.

In case of restore Veeam can restore...

... the whole VM (with all applications)

... Instant Restore the whole VM  (Start the VM direstly from the backup in about 5 minutes)

... single or multible file restore

... Application item restore from every application (U-AIR)

... Exchange Single Mail Restore, Active Directory User and Object Restore, SQL (Table) Restore  => U-Air Wizards

All Backup Data can be replicated to a second location.

The Administration UI is able to handle thousands of VMs.

>My question is: if the VM's files are stored on a safe drive and i make regular backups of windows data, if the VM crashes, i simply need to restart the copy of the >VM and then restore windows data with ntbackup or backup exec?

If you restore or instant restore the whole VM with Veeam you do not need to restore files with other backup solutions.

Kind regards

Andy   (Veeam Software Systems Engineer Central Europe)

0 Kudos
SkandAcronis
Contributor
Contributor

in case you use Veeam Backup & Replication Enterprise Edition, you do not need an other backup tool.

Except for a case when there are also physical servers to backup or you'd like to backup Veeam itself Smiley Happy

// Sergey Kandaurov Senior Product Manager @ Acronis http://www.acronis.com/
0 Kudos